• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Few questions about sore hocks...carpet a problem?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I picked up my freeads rex, Audrey today and she is suffering from sore hocks :(

Her owner said she had been on baytril for the last couple of weeks but has now finished the course (they showed me the bottle with the date on). She has a sore patch on each foot, but they are not open and look like they are healing well- just scabby....but something that worries me is she is constantly flicking her paws and then rigirously licking them as though they are hurting :(

I have her in a dog crate in my spare bedroom, bedded on towels and will take her to the vets on tuesday when I'm going with Max the piggie, but in the meantime can I use Sodocream on them? I read that it is ok? :?

Also I have some fresh baytril, shall I give some, or wait til the vets??

Also...I would like to let her have a run on the grass, but is this a bad idea if it has been raining? Was thinking itm ight make the scabs soft :?

thanks x

How bad are they?
do they look anything like this?
1145.jpg

They don't really look that bad- they are flatter scabs, no signs of blood etc, but I guess they must be hurting her :(

Her feet are almost bald though

Claudes are nearly bald but to be honest ,i dont think he is in pain,i dont put anything on them because the vet said it just softens them when they need to harden up
His have been like this since he was 12 weeks old

Oh thats a good point, I guess it would soften them, thanks.

Does Claude ever flick his paws and lick the sore patches? I suppose Audrey's could be itchy, the same way scabs are on us when they are healing :?

mandy said:
Oh thats a good point, I guess it would soften them, thanks.

Does Claude ever flick his paws and lick the sore patches? I suppose Audrey's could be itchy, the same way scabs are on us when they are healing :?
If he goes on concrete or hard surfaces he does.my other rexes do not have as bad sore hocks as claude

Would you let him out on wet grass? With the terrible weather at the moment, its the only option if she wants a run around

mandy said:
Would you let him out on wet grass? With the terrible weather at the moment, its the only option if she wants a run around
If she wasnt claude probably
He cant go on grass at all it makes him ill :(
Cant she run around indoors?

Hi Mandy,

I don't know if this helps, but Alfred developed sore hocks when his run was on concrete, I've put a large peice of rubber stable matting (luckily I already had this) under the run, and they've much improved since.

He does have a waterproof cover that goes over the run, so it is dry for him.

Jx

I was just about to start a new thread when I spotted this one. I've just noticed a small sore looking bold bit on one of Amy's feet, I'm guessing she would have got that from running about on the carpet. It doesn't seem to bother her, should I just leave it to heal itself or should I be doing something for it? :?

touie said:
I was just about to start a new thread when I spotted this one. I've just noticed a small sore looking bold bit on one of Amy's feet, I'm guessing she would have got that from running about on the carpet. It doesn't seem to bother her, should I just leave it to heal itself or should I be doing something for it? :?

Poor Amy :(

I would have always assumed that carpet would be ok, as it is cushioned although I suppose some is quite corse :?

I took Squidgy to the vets with sore hocks and the vet said that carpet can make them worse, as they can be quite abrasive. Squidgy now has a cotton throw where he sits the most, and pet blankets in his hutch.

Oh no, the room she is in is carpeted.....should I section it off with the wonderful argos storage cubes and lay a sheet down for when she's out? Can't really cover the whole carpet :?

Back