• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Joining the RWA.....

Should I join the RWA?

• Yes! It's great value for money!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! It's a waste of money!

• Don't know but I'm interested

• Total voters

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
I was just looking on the website and wondering if it was worth joining. Does the joining fee go toward bunny rescue or just the up keep of the RWA?

I am a member and basically all you get is the rabbiting on magazine...

This is my second year of being a member.... not sure if I will do a 3rd :?

I did put an option on there saying:

it's £18 a year for a bunny magazine - a bit steep

But it didn't register. I was worried that was the case.

As a member you get a magazine, cheaper tickets to the conference and access to thinks like vet list, hopper groups etc.

They spend money on things like the rabbit vet clinic at bristol, fund scientific research like the study into E.C and I think currently one into heart disease in rabbits and another into myxy (the research doesn't use lab animals). It also funds outreach officers that give talks in schools/petshops and their leaflets.

The RWA doesn't seem that great about keeping everyone informed about what they're up to - it's a shame as I'm sure they do more than the odds snippets that get mentioned show.

Tam

I am a member.
I do not agree with some of their policies but I think they are worth joining.
You also get access to an online advice service if a member. This covers Veterinary advice (NOT INSTEAD OF TAKING YOUR BUN TO YOUR OWN VET, more a sort of second opinion), behavioural advice etc.

Janex

'rabbits deserve better...oh...except for all those thousands of animals used in cruel and usless experiments, or skinned alive on fur farms..'

no thanks RWA!

bloomin hypocrites.... :evil:

maxxev said:
'rabbits deserve better...oh...except for all those thousands of animals used in cruel and usless experiments, or skinned alive on fur farms..'

no thanks RWA!

What do you mean :shock:

I am not being sarcastic, I REALLY dont know.
Do the RWA support ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS :shock: :shock:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
maxxev said:

no thanks RWA!

Janex

I'd like to know too Jane :? :?

loopylop said:
Jack's-Jane said:
maxxev said:

no thanks RWA!

Janex

I'd like to know too Jane :? :?

Me too :shock:

they just concentrate on all aspects of pet rabbits and don't get involved in anything to do with animal experiments, there are other organisations such as BUAV who do a lot of campaigning against animal testing.

I'd rather one organisation focuses on something specific and gets on with it rather than trying to duplicate something that other organisations are already campaigning against and spread themselves to think to get anything done.

The RWA focuses on pet rabbits, as Jeng says their are already organisations that focus on animal testing etc.

As far as I'm aware none of the research RWA is involved in is nothing to do with lab testing. The EC study was done by vets doing a blood test on pet rabbits. Which is a much more accurate way to go about things anyway.

Tam

no the RWA dont support animal testing (as far as i know) but they make no objection to it.
thats what i dislike about the RWA. they make a big fuss about 'rabbits deserve better' but only for a small group of animals. i appreciate that there are many rabbit owners out there who's knowledge is limeted and that this organisation does a lot of work to try to help change this. i understand that many organisations are wary of supporting animals rights
but there are many organisations, such BUAV who do not use violence. all the RWA would have to do to support these people is a link on thair website..an artical or two about the latest campain etc. it wouldn't have to be in the shape of finacal aid, raising awareness is just as important.
just somthing to show they care about the quality of life of all rabbits not just a select few.

maxxev said:
no the RWA dont support animal testing (as far as i know) but they make no objection to it.
thats what i dislike about the RWA. they make a big fuss about 'rabbits deserve better' but only for a small group of animals. i appreciate that there are many rabbit owners out there who's knowledge is limeted and that this organisation does a lot of work to try to help change this. i understand that many organisations are wary of supporting animals rights
but there are many organisations, such BUAV who do not use violence. all the RWA would have to do to support these people is a link on thair website..an artical or two about the latest campain etc. it wouldn't have to be in the shape of finacal aid, raising awareness is just as important.
just somthing to show they care about the quality of life of all rabbits not just a select few.

I often chat with the RWA Vet so I'll mention your comments to her :wink:

Janex

To behonest that would put me off joining them more than not doing it would. If people want to support that it's easy enough for them to find details of organisations that do. There is so much bad press about animal rights, unfounded or not, the RWA are better staying out of it rather then risking harming their own ability to work with people. Associations with animal rights groups could easily make some of the orgs the RWA do work with more warry.

I'm a member, my only comment would be that I have not had much success getting an answer when I have filled in the online enquiry form with a question.

That's why I was so chuffed to come across this forum as now I can ask my questions to people on here! :)

Back