• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat flaps and rabbits

My rabbits are getting a new home very shortly, a summerhouse with a run attached. The shed and run will be attached by a cat flap. I really dont know how my two are going to take to the cat flap. I was just wondering if anyone else had this setup and any piccies, and what you did to get your rabbits to use it.

I think Nicole has got a cat flap from her shed to the run... maybe PM her and ask for some piccys etc

I've had seven rabbits that have had the run of the house and garden and they all used and still use the cat flap to go out into the garden and come back in again.

They love it, they have all found it easy to use and one rabbit who has gone to the bridge used to start running and the top of the garden, run the full length of the garden straight through the flap, if you weren't expecting it the noise was a real clatter, I always made sure it was open for him otherwise I dread to think what would have happened if it had been closed :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: I think he would have had a very flat face :lol: :shock:

But my rabbits love it

DSCF1038.jpg

1cd925af.jpg

Can you see wee Dougal at the flap!!!
DSCF1040.jpg

Dougal took to it no problem. I was in the run and flatmate Daryl was in the shed. We both had cabbage, and we just put Dougal through the flap a few times. Then we used the cabbage, he soon got the idea of it.

I'm sure with time they will use it.

Both my buns have catflaps between their sheds and runs. I have the flaps open all the time though, partly to provide some air circulation to the sheds, but mainly because they butt up to next door and the noise of the flaps constantly going would drive the neighbours bonkers :lol: I've drilled a tiny hole in each flap and have hoiked it up on a piece of wire.

Hmm I've been wondering about this. I've got two cats too who have a catflap from the house into the garden - Jessica's seen them use it and I'm hoping she won't cotton on to it.

Its quite high up - as tall as a very large cat, I'm just trying to weigh up the pro's and cons of letting/teaching the buns to use it. Do you think they'd be able to jump up and get thro or is that too much effort?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a bunny jumping through a cat flap!!

You must catch that on film if Jessica does it!! :lol: :lol:

Back