• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drinking too much ?? - underlying problem ?

Mart

Mama Doe
Pasha has started to drink loads of water - not sure on the exact number of ml's but I'll check later - he started this over the last couple of weeks.

At a guess I'd say he's drinking 3x more than either Jaro did (same size) or Yalta does(bit smaller) - and probably 2x the amount that he used to drink.

It's not hot here at all - and we haven't had the same extreme temps as everyone else has had - and during the hottest spell we did have, Pasha wasn't drinking much more than normal.

He seems to be peeing it all out though - he tends only to use one of his litter trays, which is left really sodden with pee.

Just wondering whether this could be indicative of anything wrong ? - as in humans it could suggest diabetes for eg.

He seems his normal self in every other way.

The only think we can think of - he is not a big hay eater (despite the timothy hay - he seems more interested in munching on the seagrass matting) - we cut down his excell pellet food to try and tempt him to eat more hay.

Just wondering if he's drinking more water to fill himself up ?

Since Jaro's problems with pee and his bladder (it's nearly a year since he left us :cry:) - we're paranoid about anything that could be wrong with his urinary tract / bladder.

Thanks

Martin

Could indicate a kidney problem, could indicate e.cuniculi infection possibly :? Does he have any other possible symptoms at all, no matter how subtle. Although some buns do naturally drink more than others, any sudden change in drinking habits is definite cause for concern so I'd say a trip to the vets is in order.

AlisonA said:
Could indicate a kidney problem, could indicate e.cuniculi infection possibly :? Does he have any other possible symptoms at all, no matter how subtle. Although some buns do naturally drink more than others, any sudden change in drinking habits is definite cause for concern so I'd say a trip to the vets is in order.

I agree. Although Diabetes is not common in Rabbits it can occur. However it CANNOT be diagnosed on just one blood test as a Buns blood Glucose differs significantly throughout the day and is also effected by stress.
EC can effect the Kidneys and drinking alot and peeing very dilute wee can indicate impared renal function.
This needs to be addressed by a Vet ASAP to try to ascertain cause and to start appropriate treatment.

Janex

Thanks for the comments.

One thing that I forgot - Pasha has been fed some treats that started a couple of weeks back, going to check them - as they might have a high sugar content that may have unbalanced up his Glucose levels.

thanks

Martin

We've measured it out - and we think he's drinking in the order of 250ml a day (That's probably at the higher end - he does tend to put his feet in the bowl too, so there is some spillage) probably a bit less.

He's a larger Nethie by breed - we'll weigh him later.

In every other way he seems his normal self, chewing everything, running around, clambering on us, and always hungry.

He consistently pees in his usual spot - we know with Jaro, that one of the first things was that his litter habits went awry - and he struggled to pee.

Pasha seems not to struggle in his peeing.

We'll try and take him to the vets for tests this week.

thanks

Martin

Hmm - having searched the forums, I'm wondering whether it's more a case that Jaro and Yalta weren't drinking enough rather than Pasha drinking too much.

As I say, he's been drinking probably a max of 250mls a day - before that it was probably closer to 140mls (maybe a touch more, as we had to fill his bowl and he drink a bit more).

It could be just the heat from the summer that changed his habits ?

How much do your rabbits drink ?

Martin

Just for your reference Buns drink on average 50-100ml/kg every 24 hours.
Buns fed lots of Veg tend to drink less as they get some water from them

Janex

Thanks Jane - just been scouring the forum looking for that piece of information without success :)

Martin

Alfred is a small - medium size and drinks between 200 - 300mls a day, I have mentioned this to the vet, but they didn't seem concerned.

When Emily was in with him, she was a little bit bigger, but again between them they got through just under 600 mls of water a day.

But at they moment they aren't getting veggies - as Alfred's had an upset stomach, and they have hay / just grass and dried pellets.

Jx

Back