• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns learning words/commands

I think my buns may have learnt the meaning of "hay".
Earlier after cleaning their litter tray I sat on the sofa, Marlon was already in the cage munching on the fresh hay I'd put in but Bella was under the table. So I say to her "there's new hay, Bella" and she raced out and over to the cage and start hay munching too.
They also seem to get excited when I ask them if they want some hay.

Does anyone elses buns know the meaning of any words or know any commands or the like?

Yes. My rabs know '' In your box'' which means go into the pet carrier (this is used to transport them to and from the lawn) and I'm pretty sure they know their names.

Rabswood

Mine know the shaking of the pot that's filled with papaya and pineapple tablets :lol: :lol:

Jasper also knows 'no', I think Clio does as she looks up then ignores me :roll:
When I had James and he was out in the garden I used to say to him 'Back in your hutch please James' and he'd go back!! :D :D Was quite impressed with that :lol:

I think Marlon also knows he's being a cheeky monster when I ask him what he's up too. He always stop what he's doing and gives little binky ear shake and hop like he's saying "I'm so cute and you can't get mad at me."

I think they might know their names too, they sometimes come out when I call them and look at me expectantly but other times they don't so it's hard to tell.

Aren't our bunnies clever!

I'm sure George knows his name, and I know that he understands NO, but he does have selective hearing on that one :roll:

Awwww :lol: :lol:

One of my cousins (who's like 25) was convinced that rabbits don't know their names, they just look up because they hear a noise :roll: Was funny when I proved him wrong... I said a random word and Jasper did nothing, I said 'Jasper' and he looked up, cousin was quiet after that ;) :lol:

my lot know what i mean when i say OI NO or SIMBA NO :lol: :lol: even Fifi has cottoned on to that one :lol: they also know when its food time and i call them.. i often wonder if they would follow me with the food if i called random words so i'll try that later :lol: :lol:

Mine know that when I go in the kitchen at around 6 o'clock is veggie time and they also know than when the cockatiel goes to bed at 10 pm it's time for bread.
I have a plain bread roll and they have a small piece of it each (and they were weighed friday so I know it's not making them fat or nowt).
I put Loki in his cage and change his water before covering him up for the night and the buns start running about excitedly cos they know the bread is coming any second now!

It's so cute.

aawww how sweet!
Is it normal bread you give them? I thought they werent supposed to have bread unless its dried/burnt to make it crispy :? i always have wholemeal bread and chop the crusts up into square and leave in the bottom of a warm oven for a while to dry up.. they get one about once a week as a little treat :wink:

"Groomy groomy" = Aww! :lol:

It's just ordinary bread yes, sometimes wholemeal and sometimes white depending what the supermarket has when I'm there. Only a very small piece though.
I know they're not strictly supposed to have bread but I thought that was because it can make them fat.
Having just had them weighed they haven't really changed any in the last six months and are absolutely perfect weight so I can't see it can be doing them any harm.
Our 10pm bread roll tradition has been going on for months now. :D

The bread can just be dried out in the air (I do this with stale bread for my rat). Wholemeal is a lot better nutritionally than white (as we all know). I actually read that rabbits can become addicted to bread to the point that they get a bit aggressive when they are expecting some! :shock:

If you toast the bread you have to be sure you don't burn it apparently animals (well at least rats and buns) cant process the burnt stuff so it's bad for their digestion.

I gave Deej a bit of dried bread once, he turned his nose up at it and looked at me like I was an idiot! Left my ham sarnie on the table and came back to find it on the floor with nibble marks around the crusts! :lol:

Is there any reason why it has to be dried though. I've been giving it as is, just pulling it off the roll and then eating the rest whilst they eat there bits.

The sarnie story is adorable! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having not been on for ages cos I am in Canada at the moment... I am just catching up...
Rabbits are so much more intelligent than people make out half the time lol...
mine knows, bed time actually she takes herself there if its gone past her bedtime... if she doesnt go bed on time she gets all grumpy....
and she responds to her name... well we actually never call her by her name we calll her bun bun or bunny lol, and then she appears...
and when the chocolate drops or dolly mixtures come out.

my bun knows her name, if i say 'No choco' she knows not to do something, or if i go in to her and say 'lolo' she runs up for a raviolo treat. As soon as she hears my hubby's voice she runs to him to nibble his work pants!!!

Mine only know the sound of food, then they go mad! Daisy will come to me if I tap my hands on the floor, Fidget just does her own thing and comes to me when she pleases, though I secretly suspect she understands every word I say :lol: .

Back