• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spam bot spoof users

dustyjoe

Banned
As an owner of a modest forum, in comparison to this site. I have suffered from spoof user names set up to advertise web sites in profiles. I have noticed that this site has a fair few of them and some of the links are some what questionable.

I do appreciate that your user base is high and it would be hard work keeping up with it all. Do you actively look out for these ?

I wondered why people joined and then never posted :oops: I am a bit wary in looking at the sites as I am now paranoid after Brian's e-bay account was nobbled and in turn his Yahoo account :cry:

just had a look at some of the new zero post users and most are very dodgy

I have reported this post to admin so they can have a look and clean house.

Time to add the graphic auth mod i think.

Bunnybasics said:

It's already installed!

I did have a bit of code that hid users that had 0 posts - I think it got over written when I updated the forum skin. I'll get it back on as soon as I can get Neil to fix my ftp ;)

I do go through and delete batches of dodgy ones at regular intervals.

Bunnybasics said:
just had a look at some of the new zero post users and most are very dodgy

I have reported this post to admin so they can have a look and clean house.

graphic authentication mod dont work. I have to do mine manually . Lucky for me my site does not have a vast membership like this place. I can fully understand how this can get on top of you, running such a big forum .

Back