• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do?

sharond

Warren Scout
George is being neutered on Tuesday and I am starting to feel the panic rise :cry:
I have been recommended to a vet who is in a different town, because he is so experienced with bunnies, so we have a bit of a drive.

The vet has said they will phone after the op to let us kow how he is and if all is ok we can collect him aftenoon/evening same day.
However he told me that I must watch that George is eating/pooing ok over night, and if not I must take him back first thing the next morning.

My husband is working the next day, and I will not have the car, so I would be unable to get him to the vet until the evening if there was a problem.
The vet has suggested that in that case I leave George with them over night and my husband will collect him after work on the Wednesday.

I know this is the most sensible thing in lots of ways, but George is a freerange house bun and very affectionate, and I'm worried that being left there for that long will cause him stress, and potentially more problems.
If you were me and in the same situation would you leave him there for the 2 days, or collect same day?

Difficult. Is there a taxi you would be able to get in the event of an emergency? Or could you use your original vets for a follow up if absolutely necessary?

It is a relatively simple operation so if he has recovered well and seems to be ok at the vets, I'd be inclined to pick him up the same day as the chances of a problem are very slim. Maybe you could pick him up literally as the vets is about to close so that he has been observed for a long time and is hopefully already eating by then. Perhaps if he's not eating by that time, make the decision to leave him there, but if he is, bring him home. The vet should give him a painkiller which lasts 24 hours, you could ask if they could give you some more to give orally if necessary?

I'd take him home the same day... from what I've heard male neutering is quite a simple thing for a vet to do, and he should be fine if he's going to be with a vet who is experenced with neutering. He should be fine :D

Hi Sharon I'd be tempted to leave him there, he'll probably not notice the time and at least in an emergency he'd be safe. I'll be thinking of George on Tuesday, my bun Pippa's being spayed on Tuesday too and I'm getting worried about that.

Is there a vet more local to you, that you could get to without the car, if he needed more pain relief or other medicine if you took him home on the 1st day? Maybe you'd be alright taking him home if that was the case.

Rallybunny said:
Is there a vet more local to you, that you could get to without the car, if he needed more pain relief or other medicine if you took him home on the 1st day? Maybe you'd be alright taking him home if that was the case.

Hi yes, if I was in dire need, the vet who treats my other animals is just across the road litteraly a 2 min walk. I am only taking George to the other vet as he is more Bunny savvy. My usual vet is great with cats and dogs, but I felt happier with this recommended vet for George.

Neutering George

Hi,

Try not to fret - Lappers didn't even appear to notice his op - he came back the same day, and he was as if nothing had happened - he was just his usual naughty self. In fact, I checked to see that he had the op, because he was so normal.

Kind Regards,

Sue

Hmm, I'd say that if there did happen to be a problem after he was neutered and you could get to the vet across the road then that would be fine :D

However, after having problems with Sophie after she was spayed - even though she was fine at the vets, I needed to be able to get to the vet.

So, I'd say as long as you could get to a vets if need be afterwards - then it would be fine to take him home :D

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I've decded that I'll collect him same day if they say everything is alright. And at the end of the day if it was that much of an emergency and I wasn't happy taking him to my local vet I'll pay for a taxi to get to the other one.

Sue I hope George is like your Lappers :D

Kayjay I'll be thinking about you and Pippa too on Tuesday.

sharond said:
And at the end of the day if it was that much of an emergency and I wasn't happy taking him to my local vet I'll pay for a taxi to get to the other one.

:thumb: :thumb: :D

Back