• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezes

Carol X

Alpha Buck
Hi
One of my bunnies have started having sneezing fits.(washes his face staight afterwards) It started a couple of days ago.He is very well in himself still eating and acting quite normal.Is this normal or will I have to look out for other signs? How can you tell if they have ear mites? can you see them? and what would be the treatment needed?
Many thanks.
Carol X

It could be dust irritating his nose? If his nose has a discharge, or the inside of his front paws are wet (where he's wiping his nose), then he needs to see a vet.
If he has ear mites, he'll be shaking his head a lot, itching inside his ears,and you;ll be able to see a browny coloured build up inside his ears. Treatment's quite simple - Squidgy had 3 injections 10 days apart - soon sorted it.

Your Rabbit needs to see a Vet ASAP.
Constant sneezing fits are NOT normal and it may be the early signs of a respiratory tract infection. Have you noticed any discharge from his nose? Check the inside of his front feet as Buns wipe the discharge away and it makes the front feet damp and sticky.
Untreated a respiratory tract infection can travel into the lungs causing Pneumonia. So even though your Bun seems well in himself I would get him seen by your Vet today. The sooner respiratory tract problems are treated the better. Buns often appear 'well' in the early stages so you cant really judge by their behaviour but on their symptoms.

Ear mites are usually itchy and an effected Bun is likely to scratch their ears and shake their head a lot. You may not be able to see the mites but you can sometimes see the debris they cause in the ear canal. Ear mites are usually treated with a course of Ivomectin injections.

Janex

Thank you Jane,
I have kept a close eye on him today have not seen him sneeze so far,there is no discharge from his nose and cheak his feet they are lovely and clean. He is in molt, so I think maybe he was sneezing from his fur ,have given him a good brush today has cleared most of the lose hair.
One more thing I have notice is his poos are like little bunches of grapes.
I thought they were ment to eat most of these?
Carol x

Carol X said:
Thank you Jane,
I have kept a close eye on him today have not seen him sneeze so far,there is no discharge from his nose and cheak his feet they are lovely and clean. He is in molt, so I think maybe he was sneezing from his fur ,have given him a good brush today has cleared most of the lose hair.
One more thing I have notice is his poos are like little bunches of grapes.
I thought they were ment to eat most of these?
Carol x

Yes, they should eat their caecotrophs. It might be that he is getting too much pellet feed. Try cutting back on that and see if he then eats all his caecotrophs.

Janex

Back