• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

on the ground under the run

dustyjoe

Banned
Does anyone use anything on the ground under their run? I have heard a lot about rabbits digging under the runs and getting out. So i did a lot of looking about for something i could put under the run to stop them digging .

The best solution i found was chainlink fencing. It is big enough for grass to grow though and is rounded and soft on the rabbits feet. They dont seem to have any problem walking on it what so ever.

chain-link-fence-01.jpg

I've had rabbits for 11 years who have all had constant access to a run and not one of them has done any digging in it :D I don't really like the idea of wire under their feet (although I know many people do use it :) ).
The only time they do dig is in the soft soil in the flowerbeds when I let them out in the garden... and occasionally a couple of them have dug at the carpet inside :roll:

I know that snuggles dug under the run at the rescue centre and escaped, so i did not want to take any chances. Some people were telling me to put chicken wire underneath, thats is way to sharp and i can imagine that being uncomfortable. If anyone is looking for a better solution, i do recommend the chain link fence option.

Similarly part of mine has some of the PWS mesh underneath, and part of it has quite large gauge welded mesh. It's all attached to the sides of the run as well. I leave my rabbits out all the time so need mesh underneath to make it foxproof. The grass has grown through it over time and you'd never know it was there now!

I have my run on paving slabs as Holly is a digger :roll: she will even try and dig at the paving slabs :shock: :lol:

i have wire on the bottom of mine mainly to stop foxes digging in! none of my rabbits are diggers

We had a similar idea ( we had rats burrowing IN to the run :shock: ), but we put bark chippings on top of the wire so that they can still dig.

This is the base of the run. The base is screw ed to the sides - it's as secure as we could make it.
DSCN0826.jpg

And then the finished article

DSCN1066.jpg

The paving slabs are a good idea, as they do keep the nails down.

My gorgeous has bitten through two lots of chicken wire! Digging out isn't something I worry aout as he doesn't seem to have thought about it!
Evee dug out once, and was very pleased with herself! I put their food and water bowls in the corners of the runs as that's the only place they seem to dig.

When I had just one rabbit, he never dug, did all his poos and wees in his litter tray and never in his hutch - it was a dream to clean out!
Then I got him a girlfriend and she dug holes so much we had to put the run on slabs in the end - and she poos and wees EVERYWHERE!!!!!! To be honest she has gotten better at using the litter tray but she isn't religious about it like my first bun.

Well Jessica managed to dig under the fence and got into next door's garden.

And I noticed claw marks and a hole, in her run, so now her hutch is on the patio - norty girl!!!!

However, they both have free run of the garden, and she has tried to dig out but the neighbours seem to have secured thier sides of the fences with either cement or that corrigated plastic edging, so fingers crossed she can't dig her way out!!

I've also got a large flowerpot (used to have pansies in it before someone ate them :roll: ) which is full of soil and we've left it for her to dig in which she enjoys.

We used rabbit wire left over from fencing our new allotment. The grass is quite long, so it comes up through the wire and vitually covers it over. I've sat in the run on several occasions and can barely feel the wire through all the grass (and shredded paper!) that is in there.

I have chicken wire on the base of my runs it doesn't hurt there feet as it's large gage and it stops them digging out and anything digging in :D

mandy said:
I'd be worried that chainlink fencing could 'move' and pinch the sking on the feet :?

It cant move as the run and hutch is on top of it and the weight of them keeps it in place. Its not moved at all and the only way it could is if the 5 ft hutch was physically moved .

Back