• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

use by date on rabbit food

sharond

Warren Scout
I am slowly swapping my bun George over from Mr Johnsons supreme rabbit mix to Science selective pellets.
I am taking it very slowly, because he is being neutered on Tuesday, and we are going on holiday in two weeks and my Mums coming to look after him ,so I wanted to avoid any tummy upsets.

I purchased a new 15kg sack of Mr Johnsons, and thought when I have made the complete change to the pellets I could donate the rest to a rescue if they need it. The use by date is March 07, but it says on the front of the bag 'for your rabbit to enjoy at it's best use within 7 days of opening' :shock:

surly it is ok to feed him on this for more than 7 days? As far as I'm aware you can't get smaller bags, so it would be a heck of an expense to buy a new bag of that size every week!!!!

The science selective has a use by date 12/07 but doesn't say use within a certain time of opening.

Would you feel happy to feed your bun on it for more than 7 days if stored corectly?

hey
i have used that food and i used over a month when i had 3 rabbits..
use within 7 days?that would be such waste of money! :?

As long as you roll the top down or store it in a contanerthen I don't see the problem. Don't the SS plastic bags have holes punched in anyway so you can sufficate anyone with them?

The food wont go off that quick its just when open to the air the vitamin content will deteriate, so its best not to buy bigger than you rearly need. Of course storing properly will help. val

Thanks for your replies.
I couldn't find any smaller bags of the Mr Johnsons supreme. 15kg was the smallest I could get.
I tip it out of the bags into plastic crates with lids on so hopefully it will keep ok.

raven_guest said:
Mine never lasts long eneough to get near the use by date!

No, I don't think it would last to the use by date, that was March 07 but it said once opened use wihtin 7 days. I only have one bunny so he's have a job to eat 15kg in a week :lol:

Back