• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anal gland build up?

rhiannon.hughes

Warren Scout
This may sound strange, but a couple of days ago I was inspecting my bunny's bottom (she's an older lady and needs help with her hygiene :oops: ) I noticed a rather pungent smell. Either side of her anus there was a waxy kind of build up. I bathed her bottom as she isn't the best at keeping it clean :roll: and gently removed this build up. The smell was awful, and yesterday when I checked the smell was still there, it's really rather pungent.

I was wondering is this an anal gland blockage (like you can get in cats and dogs?). Did I do the right thing in cleaning them?

Sorry to be a pain, i've never encountered this before.

That would be her scent glands.All buns have them and they secrete a strong smelling waxy substance which varies in colour from creamy white to orangey-brown.

Most Buns keep themselves clean but elderly Buns and Buns with arthritis of the spine may need help. Has your elderly Bun been checked by a Vet recntly for age related problems like spinal pain or teeth problems?
If not it might be a good idea just to make sure she does not have any physical problems stopping her from cleaning herself.

If she gets a clean bill of health from your Vet then you just need to check her bum DAILY (more often in hot weather) and clean her up as necessary.Be careful removing the build up of gunk from her scent glands as Buns skin around that area is paper thin and can easily tear.

Janex

Thanks Jane,

I feel relieved now about removing the gunk. :D . I do check her bottom daily when we have cuddles, but i'd never looked down the sides of her bum before (don't worry, will do from now on!).

I'll get her checked, i've got a friwnd who's a vet and i'll see if she'll pop round and take a look and if she's worried i'll take her in to the surgery to get checked.

I'm getting worried about the whole ageing thing. I remember when my last bun Dillon got old and eventually had to be pts, don't know how i'll cope :cry: I cried for days, just couldn't stop. I know it's an inevitable part of pet keeping, but soooo hard to bear. I said i'd never have another bunny after that, but after I found Noel and no-one claimed I just had to keep her she's soo fantastic and a real snuggle bun who'll sit on you for cuddles until the cows come home! Bless :love:

rhiannon.hughes said:
Thanks Jane,

I feel relieved now about removing the gunk. :D . I do check her bottom daily when we have cuddles, but i'd never looked down the sides of her bum before (don't worry, will do from now on!).

I'll get her checked, i've got a friwnd who's a vet and i'll see if she'll pop round and take a look and if she's worried i'll take her in to the surgery to get checked.

I'm getting worried about the whole ageing thing. I remember when my last bun Dillon got old and eventually had to be pts, don't know how i'll cope :cry: I cried for days, just couldn't stop. I know it's an inevitable part of pet keeping, but soooo hard to bear. I said i'd never have another bunny after that, but after I found Noel and no-one claimed I just had to keep her she's soo fantastic and a real snuggle bun who'll sit on you for cuddles until the cows come home! Bless :love:

Awwwww she sounds lovely :D
I adore the oldie Bunnies. They have a certain extra 'something'.
Yes it hurts so much when we loose them. But I would never let that stop me adopting a Bun. Particularly the OABs!! (Old Age Buns!!)

Janex

Back