• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

20 minutes bonding did not go too well!

Jessica and Jasper spent their first meeting on the kitchen table at first it was ok - as they were more stressed than worried about each other then after about 5 mins Jessica was sniffing him, then nipping him and getting more and more aggressive - Jasper nipped back and then some fur went flying.

I felt really bad when we had to spllit them up.

When Jaspers in the run or hutch or when she is, when ever the other one goes near, Jessica goes mad trying to claw her way in or out at Jasper.

Will they ever fall in love? I feel so sorry for Jasper, he's a really docial bun and Jessica is picking on him!

I'm going to do more bonding research on Sunday, unless anyone can give me more tips.

As for the car ride which helps - I'm assuming put them in seperate cat boxes - as they'll no doubt fight in the same one.

Poor bunnies - I feel mean :cry:

try puttin them in cages next to each other for a while get them used to each other. and get a brush and brush both them get jaspers scent on jessica and jessicas scent on jasper.

I read somewhere (can't remember now), that you can do the 2 cages thing, but swap them each evening so they get used to each others scent...

I have no idea if it works...

Good luck though! I have my rabbit bonding today - and i'm a bit nervous

Hi guys thanks for the reply. Yes we've got two cage set ups and they swap cages every night.

And several times during the day one goes in the run and the other gets to have a run of the garden/house.

Jaspers ok with it all - its just Jessica shes really aggresive!

You do the car ride thing with them in together.

If they are antagonistic putting them next to eachother will only make things worse as rabbits LIKE to argue. Your mission (should you choose to accept it...) is to make them view eachother as comforters and friends.

You do start with them separate actually :oops: Drive for about 10 mins with them separate - not next to eachother, one in the front one in the bak would be good, so they will be a bit subdued. Then pop them in together and drive for a while more, 20 mins at least. They should turn to eachother for comfort. But don't do this until you can keep them together SUPERVISED for at least three days. There is no point in keeping separating them, in fact it makes things worse. They have to start again each time. Once home again put them in neutral territory and watch them carefully. If they start to scrap, stop it immediately, put them back in the carrier and take them for another ride. You can repeat this a few times, but if it keeps happening this bonding is unlikely to work.

If you get a good result - no fighting, one bun giving ground, or them ignoring each other stay with them in the neutral space until they feel safe. This will usually be after they groom each other. Some nipping and fur pulling, and mounting is to be expected. They have to establish dominance. But all out war is not alright. Any blood drawn, it won't work. Nasty looking face nipping is common, but they do stop doing this. It is better than a rolling ball of rabbits :?

Most pairs will feel safe after a couple of hours, others you need to supervise overnight, even for a few days, so be prepared for that - a cage in the bedroom works well for this (this is what I do when bonding other people's rabbits) but be prepared for little sleep from the thumping :roll:

Even once they feel safe it is important to keep them in neutral territory for a few days to establish the bond before challenging it by returning them to private territory.

HTH

Blimey - I've just tried a date just now in the bathtub (no other place in our house is neutral, didn't know i'd get another bunny you see).

Anyway again Jessica was the aggressive one, then after a few seconds Jasper started back at her. So hard to try and break it up in the bath as they are all slipping everywhere and I'm trying not to get bitten, there was fluff everywhere. Jessica is now quite wet from the water spray - that doesn't seem to stop her. After I just about managed to seperate them, they did sit in either ends of the bath for about a minute - she washed her face a bit, then she was back at him. I guessing this is all bad?

I feel so sorry for Jasper, poor blighter! Afterwards they both wanted some cuddles as they were both upset. I don't think I will do it in the bath or the kitchen table again as they were skidding everywhere, and really hard to split up.

I would really appreciate more advice - I feel terrible doing this, I HATE seeing them fight and upset!

Doorkeeper - thank you for your post. Can you just claify:

But don't do this until you can keep them together SUPERVISED for at least three days.

Do you mean don't do the car ride until I have 3 days free to supervise them afterwards?

I'm petrified at doing this - what happens if they start scrapping when I'm driving, trying to seperate them is a nightmare let alone in a car!!! Can someone re-assure me?

Back