• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Egg (and Tuesday)'s new indoor hutch

woodstock

Mama Doe
from this:
211977697_a2ae056885.jpg

to this:

211977699_3bb92bd856.jpg

Ok, it's not exactly finished yet, but we're getting there.
Thanks for Tamsin's post in the care section - ours is inspired by yours but not as clever!

Ok it's mdf - but I got B&Q to cut it for me (for free) from plan. It just looked sturdier than the ply.

I'm going to try it without a ramp to start with (simply because Egg's outdoor hutch is double decker and she (and donut) had a habit of throwing the staircase around and hitting each other in the head - they were more happy to jump between levels).

Egg has been ever so helpful - trying to get in - but i'm keeping her out until she and Tuesday arrive back (hopefully tomorrow) so it's neutral territory for them both.

What do you all think?

That looks great! What size cage is it?
And I didn't know B&Q cut wood to shape, my local homebase cuts it as long as you just want it rectangular so I assumed they were all like that.

I've made a second level in my cage with cube storage grids but only Marlon can get up, Bella needs a ramp but I don't think there's really enough room as their litter tray is really big.

Good luck with the bun bonding!

Ooooh it's looking great! I love the fact that the dog crate has a door in the top as well as the side, I've not seen one like that before!

One thing to watch with MDF is if your buns wee on the top level, as it's basically bits of wood glued together - so it could come apart if the top gets wet. Might need to cover it with lino and up the sides a bit as well if they decide that's what they want to do!

Good luck with your newly bonded buns :thumb:

the happy bee said:
That looks great! What size cage is it?
And I didn't know B&Q cut wood to shape, my local homebase cuts it as long as you just want it rectangular so I assumed they were all like that.

I've made a second level in my cage with cube storage grids but only Marlon can get up, Bella needs a ramp but I don't think there's really enough room as their litter tray is really big.

Good luck with the bun bonding!

it's a 42" hutch - or for the metric, the shelf is 1.04m x 66cm.
I gave the plan to B&Q who said it would be fine (I couldn't take it there and then because I cleverly had the 2 seater car with no roofrack - and i had to buy a 2400x1200mm sheet of mdf!), but when i went back it was in two pieces... not quite what i was aiming for - but nevermind! (i've now screwed the pieces to the battons and it's not going to go anywhere!)

I've no doubt egg will be up there no trouble. Will have to see about Tuesday!

AlisonA said:
Ooooh it's looking great! I love the fact that the dog crate has a door in the top as well as the side, I've not seen one like that before!

One thing to watch with MDF is if your buns wee on the top level, as it's basically bits of wood glued together - so it could come apart if the top gets wet. Might need to cover it with lino and up the sides a bit as well if they decide that's what they want to do!

Good luck with your newly bonded buns :thumb:

Oh - good idea with the top floor... might put a towel down or something in the meantime

(yey - sorted my signature out!)

Back