• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice

Veronica

Mama Doe
Following on from a long term condition I suffer with, I've been advised many a time by my doctors not to be lifting heavy items etc
I've seen a doctor this week due to having some servere pains, and he's told me I'm not to go lifting or moving anything heavy.
My mum was with me, and she mentioned to the doc how I'm always lifting bales of woodshavings, hay, rabbit runs, sliding hutch blocks/hutches about for cleaning etc. My doc was mortified, and told me this has to stop for my own health.

Since this most recent appointment and advice, my family are coming down on me like a tonne of bricks, with regards the buns :( (it doesn't help with the 2 extra I've started fostering). They are concerned at my condition (which admittedly does have serious implications :( ), and are advising me to reconsider my life-style...which does strongly mean the buns :(

I have been living the past few years with 'blinkers' on with regards my condition....which is daft, but when you don't want to face something, you tend to 'block it out' :(

I'm getting a lot of 'advice' from my immediate family, and now extended family, on what I should 'do for the best'. As much as I can see their point, and of course, I am seriously concerned for my own health......I am mortified at the prospect of having to give up any of my babies :(

From this recent doctors visit, I am now losing a one man fighting battle :( :( :(

I've had so many sleepless nights, particulary this week...I'm being to lose the will :( :( :(

Just to add....there is no one to help with the cleaning or maintainance of my animals. My family all work full time (long hours).
The buns are purely my responsibility. If I am unable to clean and care for them...then no one is :(

I can't go out to see them/bring them in without family members constantly 'reminding' me of what the doctor said.

To say I'm feeling gutted/mortified, is a huge understatement :(

Is there anyone who can help you with the heavy stuff?? I'm pretty feeble due to a bad back, and am lucky enough to have the husband to do all that stuff.

I feel for you - ultimately you can't put yourself at risk though.

i am so sorry i dont know what to say but i would like to offer you a ((((hug))))

Its not a nice situation to be in.

Sue
xx

Maybe it's good for your health to have rabbits!!!
I would ask a friend or family member to help you.
I know that they are your responsibility but to ask you to give up your rabbits, I'm sorry thats too much.
Surly some one could help you clean them out.

Hiya,

Perhaps their are other way's that you could change the type of work you have do without having a negative impact on your bunny ownership.

It might be an idea to sit down and talk about how important the rabbits are to you - animals are actually have a positive effect on stress/blood pressure and make you feel good. Explain you understand they're worried about you and ask them to help you come up with solutions to make looking after your bunnies easier. Perhaps between you, you could come up with solutions such as changing the setups so their is less of the activities that effect your health. That way they'll also feel like you and they are doing something to help. If it's difficult for you to explain all that without them interupting write it in a letter :)

Here are some ideas:

-raising hutches on legs or a table so less bending down
-adding a gate to runs so you don't have to climb over
-getting a wheelbarrow to move bales
-splitting bales into weather proof containers and storing them next to each hutch
-getting in a helper for cleaning time - a 14-15 year old animal lover might jump at the chance to help out with lots of bunnies especially if you can afford a small payment to e.g £5 a week
-larger hay containers so they need filling less often
-using litter trays so cleaning is easier

Hope that helps :)

Tamsin

i think they are some excellent ideas - specially getting someone to help who loves animals - a small wage would also go down well. MAybe put a small advert in your local shop?

Sue
xx

Thanks again for your help, advice and support.

Tamsin, you have outlined some excellent ideas....some of which we have actually implimented in place for a while now.
However, following this recent appointment, it is clear things aren't improving. My family have more or less now taken over...and it would seem the decision is out of my hands :( I've fought so hard, but the only compromise that has been made, is to cut down on some of the buns...therefore insuring I won't need bales for cleanouts....no more lifting of numerous heavy binbags to the tip, and less lifting and setting up of numerous large and heavy runs.

As any of you who know me well, will know that I dedicate, and have done since I was a child...my life to my animals. I work to finance them..to ensure they have the best. I single-handedly work to run and look after them to the highest of standards. There is no way I would want to give all this up. They are my babies. I love all of them to pieces. I have fought for them for so long...and my family have been happy, in the knowledge that I am capable to look after them single-handedly so well under my care. Now that this is looking to be affected, they are basically telling me that something has to give. :( :( :( :(

I'm so sorry this is happening with you :( Really hope it can be sorted... you can give up your lovely bunnies!

Really sorry to her your news.But you need to do what is best for you,even if it is for the short term. May be you could fine someone who may be willing to look after your buns for a while until your situation gets a little better.(Fostering for a short time)
Wish you lots of luck,you need to look after number one. :thumb: It want be easy,am thinking of you.
Take Care
Carol X

So sorry to hear about this Veronica. We all know how dedicated you are to your bunnies. I agree that your health is important, btu I also know that it would do you no good at all mentally if you had to give up any of your bunnies.
I so wish I was closer to you, and then I'd be able to give a hand. I think Tamsin's suggestion of maybe paying someone to clean the buns out, and do the heavy work, leaving you to do the nice bits - like cuddling.
Sending you huge hugs.

Oh no Veronica, just seen this :shock: :(

I am so sorry hun, this must be so hard for you.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know :(

Big hugs to you mate xxx

Awwww im really sorry x
If i lived nearer id help
Maybe someone off the forum is close by and could come and help you out?

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your health Veronica. I dont really know what to advise you.. but i just want to say i hope things can get sorted some how.. any chance of paying your brother to help with the heavy bits?

awww :cry: what a horrible desision to have to make :cry: I really hope you can you can come up with a solution which is best for you and your bunnies. There must be a way around it some how. I like Tamsins Ideas. sending hugs xxx

Veronica-
I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I have no advice for you except to really follow your heart. Things usually have a way of working themselves out when given time.
You dont need to make the decision immediatly. Really give it some thought and the answer may just come to you.

We are all here supporting you with whatever decision you make. Please feel free to PM me anytime you need someone to talk to during this stressful time.

Lots of love,
Leah and the buns.

Veronica so sorry to hear this.....sad enough that you can't take Marriott and Katie, but poor you having to think about the others too :( ..Here's hoping you find a way round it...as already said the suggestions from Tamsin are worth trying. xx

I can't believe the support I am getting from such kind hearted and understanding people.

I thought, and felt so alone.....I honestly didn't know who to turn to or what to do.

I was/am getting 'advice' from various people (doctors, family, friends), all of whom I do understand what they are saying...but equally they don't know what it's like to be me, and from my point of view and situation.

My parents have said that of course they don't expect me to rehome all my rabbits, but keep some. How am I suppose to pick and choose who stays and who goes?!?!?!?! I spent so long trying to explain this...each of them are my babies...each with their own characters, and whom I love EQUALLY. :(

They just don't understand :( :( :(

I'm finding it hard to face my babies atm. I'm just brought to tears at the prospect of losing any of them :(
Everything I've worked for, is given to them. It's absolutely gut-wrenching.

I so appreciate your support. Some of the offers of help have been incrediable...and shows what kind hearted and gorgeous people you are. I can't honestly stress that more.

Some of the suggestions have been really good....some of them I have already in place, which have meant I've managed to keep my babies for as long as I have, and as well as I have.

As far as my rabbits....they are, and always have been in MY care. My family have been happy with this over the years, as I'm happy...the animals are happy, and so they are happy.
My family are fond of the buns (having been around them for yeeeeeeeears, they have to be really :lol: )....but they are not bunny lovers like me.
They, like most people, think I'm mad for keeping so many....spending as much money on them as I do :lol: ...and spoiling them like I do. They see how happy they make me...and how well I am doing with looking after them as I do, and so have been happy (except when Alfie eats all the garden plants :lol: ).

Those of you with many buns, such as me...will understand the work, time, dedication, funds(!), structure and timetable that goes into looking after them all to a high standard. My buns are one aspect of my life that I am so proud of. I do it all myself. No help (whether it be physical, or financial) from anybody. Anyone who comes to my house, and sees my buns always comment on the housing/hygiene, equipment, health and happiness of my babies etc. To know I do this all on my own makes me immensely proud. I am so proud.
I'm a full time student, with a part time job (which is nearing full time hours!). All my spare time and funds goes on my rabbits.

I feel such a failure now :(

Most of the options Tamsin has suggested has been put into action, except the heightening of hutches (for instance the 3 tier housing for my family of lops is impossible. This hutch is a nightmare to clean...especially the bottom level, which is where they decide to use as their toilet, right in the furthest corner...so means me literally climbing into the hutch stretching to try and clean/scrub it out! This hutch on it's own fills 4 heavy bin liners!).
I also haven't carried out the idea of gates on runs. This is mainly because most of my runs have to be flat packed and stored back into the second shed...as my 'overly house proud' parents don't want lawns full of permanent runs. This doesn't help my condition, as it means every day, I'm carrying and setting up numerous large runs for the buns. The at the end of the day, folding them down and storing them back.

I also haven't thought of hiring someone to help with the cleaning. I've been considering this idea this evening. It's something I've heard others do (particulary rabbit breeders), and haven't been keen on the idea (although can see sense in it in some situations).
I am a clean freak with regards my animals. I spend hours cleaning/scrubbing/sweeping/tidying. I do it so thoroughly! :lol:
If you walk into my rabbit shed, supplies are all organised into their own storage boxes with lids.
A normal hutch clean out also involves me single-handedly moving the huuuuuuge 5.5ft high, 2.5ft deep, 6ft tall t&g hutch blocks in order to sweep properly behind and underneath. I can't rest until I know I've done it properly. Infact, I tend to do this sometimes when just 'giving the shed a sweep' :lol:

I don't know if I could trust someone else to do things properly. I honestly wouldn't be able to rest until going back out and re-doing things, in order to make sure its done to my standard :lol:

I'd also be worrying about leaving my babies in someone elses care.

The final prob, is that due to my uni, and then work...I tend to only find the large amount of time to hutch clean at some 'funny' hours...such as reeeeeeeally early in the morning, or really late at night...into the early hours (depending on the weeks work).
If I was to 'hire' someone, then I'd have to be there to supervise...which timing-wise would be tough (due to my timetable)...and if I did...I don't think I'd be able to watch without getting stuck in and taking over, which kinda defeats the point :lol:

Sorry for the really long post. I'm just thinking aloud for a bit. You can see just how much thinking is going on in my mind, it's keeping me awake...and sending me mad :(

Aww, as Leah say's do take your time and think things over :) I know in the end you'll work out what's best for everyone. If you do have to rehome any of your bunnies we are all here to help you get them wonderful homes :)

Some more ideas... I don't know what you're set up is or what you already do so some might be no good but you never know ;)

For runs - could you hinge them off the side of the garden (walls/fences) so that they folded flat against the wall when not in use but you just opened them like a gate to set them up? Even if you only did it for one that still reduces your work.

Or you could also put wheels on the bottom of the runs so they can be pulled rather than carried, if they are low, a tall post would mean you wouldn't have to bend to pull them.

Or if fitting the runs with wheels is impractical, how about a trolly that all the runs sat in, you could wheel that out of the shed and then you wouldn't have to carry/lift the runs so far.

You can get dustpans on poles: http://www.benefitsnowshop.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?item=557&sectionId=679 that mean you can sweap up without bending down.

Fitting the bottoms of the hutches with lino would make cleaning quicker. Could you have a pull-out tray for the bottom section of the hutch. You can get large ones designed for putting grow bags in that are sort of hutch shaped. You can also buy the bottom trays from those indoor cages seperately.

It might be an idea to talk to your doctor about the type of actions that would cause you less problems, for example the lift and push of a wheel barrow might cause more problems than a little cart on four wheels that you pull.

These sort of style sack holders: http://www.euroquipment.co.uk/Cleaning-Waste/Litter-Waste-Bins/Sack-Holders/Sack-Holders_EK143.html
Mean no bending down to get the waste in the sack, plus you can push them around on wheels instead of having to carry. So you fill it up, push the holder where the full sacks go and then let the sack out. (You can get garden ones that are much cheaper.)

Maybe it would help if you wrote a list of all the actions that you do as part of your routine and see how you could alter them. That might be easier than looking at the whole thing and it seeming impossible :)

Tam

Back