• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skinny?

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
Daisy doesn't look skinny... but she feels a bit bony? She gets fed unlimited hay (obviously), a small "handfull" of SS and carrots, parsley and whatever else I have in a few times a week... I don't know if it's bunny-mummy paranoia or what, but... the stress! She eats hay really well, she'd eat everything in sight if I let her... I really don't know if it's me being paranoid but it is easy to feel her spine :? . She's 11 months old and medium sized...happy, running about and all the rest of it so she's not unhealthy. There's no way I can weigh her unfortunately. How much should you be able to feel their spine, etc? Should I increase her pellets? Thanks :) .

Radar in particular feels a bit bony, so I asked the vet when I took him for his jabs and she said that he (and Beany) were both fine and a good weight. Some buns are just bonier than others :roll:

Evo's bony too, and I was worried. I asked the vet, and he's a fine weight for his size, must just be his build. I've never had a bony bunny before, but he's also the 1st lop I've had, so might just be different bone structure.

I do weigh him about every other week, just to be on the safe side.

Yes, I took Daisy for her myxi jab the other night and i was a bit worried she was a bit thin, but the vet told me she's perfect. She said you should be able to feel their ribs a bit.

When you say no way you can weight her is that cos you don't own any scales or she wiggles to much?

You might find you're vet has a record of her weight from a previous visit - particular if you've had neutering done there. If you can get her weighed you could then compare it.

Tam

A lot of mine are very skinny and I can feel spines easily, I think it's 'cos my lot are so active

I never read the bit that you aren't able to weigh her. I came up with a fairly innacurate, but ok, solution. I got some £11 electric scales from Woolworths. I get them all set up, then tempt Evo on with some treats. He usually stays on long enough to register his weight. I know it's not 100%, but it's enough for me to keep an eye on him.

Rallybunny said:
I never read the bit that you aren't able to weigh her. I came up with a fairly innacurate, but ok, solution. I got some £11 electric scales from Woolworths. I get them all set up, then tempt Evo on with some treats. He usually stays on long enough to register his weight. I know it's not 100%, but it's enough for me to keep an eye on him.

Um easier way...

weigh yourself

weigh yourself holding bun

the difference btween the 2 is the buns weight (a lot easier to see the weight measurements if you have digital scales) :D

Back