• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with neglected bun

Honeybun

Warren Scout
Think I'm just destined to have rabbits, just as I'm arranging a home for Mia I've been given a neglected bun...

They were being kept unsuitable circumstances, and one of them died before I managed to persuade the owner to part with them :cry:

I have now been told I can pick the other one up at the weekend, which I intend to do. Whether I will keep her long term is another matter...

She is about 6, and seems in pretty good health apart from being quite obese, but she has a very dirty bum.. I suspect she wasn't being fed proper rabbit food, but the last couple of days I've been able to sneak her some hay which she has wolfed down.

I intend to wash her rear end with baby shampoo (I'm guessing that's the mildest) and clip most of the fur away. I also intend to put her on a diet, and from what I've read on here it seems best if I give her Science Selective, which is what my other bun gets anyway. I will also put her out in a secure run in the hope she may exercise.

I will take her for a vet checkup anyway as I'm guessing she may have mites which I don't want Mia to have a chance of catching, so I guess they will be able to tell if there is anything obviously wrong with her.

Do you think the weightloss and a change of diet may sort her dirty bum or is there something else? I'm just worrying about her being a target for flystrike, and of course it can't be nice for her to be so dirty, the rest of her coat is spotless and she looks so miserable.

Is there anything like a probiotic for rabbits? I know there is stuff I've used for my horses in the past...

If she is 6yrs old she may well have a touch of Artheritus which may well be stopping her from cleaning herself, but with you putting her on a better diet and getting her to lose weight she may well be able to clean herself. Their are probiotics for rabbits you can get Bio Lapis which you put in their water or Avipro where you can sprinkle on food or also put in their water.

probiotic

Hi

there is a great probiotic at (believe it or not) P A H! Called Pro-C or something you can dissolve it in the water and bunnies love it. Jane, fantastic rescue lady in Warwick put me onto it and it worked a treated with previous buns of mine who were stressed.

HTH

Nicole

I would also get the vet to check her teeth as that can also cause sticky bums.

I would imagine a good diet and loosing some weight should make a big improvement :)

Do make sure you change the food slowly even when cutting out bad stuff. It might be bad for her but it's what her tummy is used to.

Good luck with her :)

Tam

Hehe yeah it's like with horses.. I'm putting a few SS pellets in now so she is getting used to them.. she is loving the hay even if she does throw it all over the place before she eats it... it's the only time I see any activity out of her atm..

It's a shame, she seems such a quiet sweet bun... tho I guess that could change when she's a bit more active and slimline lol...

I may attempt to bond her to Mia when she settles, as I think she is missing her previous friend who was also a female. I could possibly keep Mia then as she would have plenty of company without me having to handle them too much.

I get there to pick her up, get all loaded up, about to bun in the box..

.. and he's changed his mind :evil: .. well made an excuse.

I was so angry I had to drive away.

Back