• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets you can trust

janice

Wise Old Thumper
People are always asking about vets, I cannot seem to find a list of vets people feel that they can trust and are happy to suggest others might want to use if they are looking for someone to deal with a specific problem they are having with their precious pet.

The vets ARC use are
Twickenham Vetinary Surgery, Hampton Road, Twickenham. Cristabel is our wonderful vet we use who works Monday - Thursday.

As a result of ARC using this practice she has plenty of experience with neutering both male and female rabbits and now does between 400 - 500 each year, she also neuters male guinea pigs for us as well.

there is actually a list somewhere val tatlor started it if any of you seach boffs want to go find it, think your vets was added at the time janice

AlisonA said:
Here ya go! Might be useful for it to be sifted through it and arrange geographically though.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17343&start=0

Can we make such a post and have it as a sticky or in the info section? If it's done with the relevant disclaimer that this is just people's opinions based on their experiences etc?

thought someone would come up thrumps :D lazy arent i! :lol: :lol: :lol:

would work wth the home checkers list to was hopeing that would be made into a sticky drives me round the bend havin to keep searching for it!

My Vet isn’t on the other list and I can’t recommend her enough. :thumb:

Rebecca Penn
Abbey Veterinary Group
254a Barnsley Rd,
Cudworth,
Barnsley,
South Yorkshire
S72 8SS
Tel: 01226 716802

Louise

Does anyone know any good ones in Devon around the Plymouth area. There are two in the town I live but I have no idea. One of them put an article in the local information leaflet about flystrike though.....Maybe that is a good sign?

Think it would be a great idea as a sticky as we are always having posts for Vet recommendations. :wink:

Louise

I will pm Tamsin and try and organise a sticky with details, if everyone wants to keep adding to either this thread or the other one, I will do one arranged in geographical location.

Janice

Orchard House Vetinary Surgery
Metheringham
Lincolnshire

I've also used

Whitegates Veterinary Surgery
3 Main Rd
Washingborough
Lincoln

and been happy with the treatment.

It looks like there is a sort of thread in the rabbit care reference section: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2304

Maybe the list could be added to that and the title of the first post changed? It's probably still useful to have the information on 'what to look for in a good vet' together with the list - so that there is also some advice available for people who don't find anyone on the list.

Could I throw a consideration into the formation of a list. Maisie has been quite poorly lately and I was trying to find a "rabbit savvy vet". When I phoned the RWF, the lady there made a good point. Someone might recommend their vet because she is "so good with Thumper" but what does that mean. I had been recommending my vet in Oxford to friends as she was "so good with Maisie", but in reality she had only administered mxyi and VHD and clipped her nails, but we had not encountered any real problems that put her knowledge to the test.

Lorna from GreenfieldsRescue then recommended her vet at Kynoch Vets in Bracknell and I am so relieved to be with someone who has considerable knowledge of rabbits and who is experienced in trying to help Maisie. Like the Arc vet, the fact he treats all Greenfields bunnies gives him experience with a variety of rabbit illnesses. He has undertaken tests and phoned me on several occasions to discuss at length all the results and treatment.

The recommendation of a vet is good and helpful, particularly if you are frantically trying to get some help for your pet. But it would be more useful to know why a vet is being recommended. I am glad the RWF explained this to me as I would have assumed that anyone on the list would have been highly experienced with rabbits, and that isn't always the case. It could simply be that the rabbit owner found the vet personable.

Whilst considering a list, please do additional research before moving to a new vet. If a RR member is recommending a vet practice, ask them specifically why?

I kind of agree with the last post. I haven't had bunnies for long yet, but over the years with my guinea pigs I've switched vets many times, so at certain points I would have recommended a vets as they seemed to know what they are talking about, only to find that when tested they weren't so good after all.

Having said that, it's better than no recommendation at all. :)

Yep I agree with that as well. It's also fine (to a degree, obviously you'd expect some knowledge!) to have a vet who doesn't know the answer - but is quite prepared to say "I don't know...but I'll find out" A vet who is open to suggestion or to go away and do some research is worth their weight in gold. Far better than a vet who thinks they know it all and isn't prepared to do some research or think outside of the box.

Back