• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unexplained wounds

taylor v 109

Mama Doe
I have a big problem with a dwarf lop rabbit at the moment, hes worrying me and the vet. Sorry long post coming lol. He was in good heath and i had him castrated in feb this year. He was homed three weeks ago to a nice lady that was bonding him to a female. She split them after one fight [ no wounds just fur] Then about three days later a big wound was found on his back. She took him to the vet and paid out £150 to have him stitched up and batril. After a week the wound had healed and hair was growing. Her vet thought it was maybe an old wound bin opened up again, but im cartain he never had a wound of any kind when i had him. Then a couple of days after that the lady rang to say he had another bad wound on his leg an hed been cheewing it and wouldnt leave it alone. I thought the best idea was that he came back to me and to see my vet. When he came back that night as well as the wound mentioned i found another even worse one going from his groin right around the leg. It didnt look like a fight woung or ones hed done himself :shock: . May be i thought an allergy?. Rung the vet and he went in the next morning. Vet was puzzled they looked like cuts and the skin had flaped open :shock: .He went in to have the wounds stitched up. He came back with a collor on to stop him touching them, there was 2 drains one in both legs ans lots os stitches plus more batril. According to the vet the skin was tearing when she tried to stitch and if any of it reopened it wouldnt be able to be stitched again because of this. :cry: Its as if the skin had turned very fragile and tears at the least thing. I did check with the lady that took him that there was no way he could have got caught on any thing, but shes sure he couldnt. I must say i didnt think there would be as ive a picture of the avery typ accomadation he had and its all brand new. The vet dosent think its an alergy as the wounds are not right for that. What can it be im so worried now that when these wounds are healed its going to happen again. Has anybody a clue to what it could be i think its going to be something to do with his skin. THE FIST PICCIE YOU CAN SEE THE OLD WOUND ON THE TOP MIDDLE OF HIS BACK, THE SECOND ONE SHOWS THE NEW ONE AND THERES ANOTHER ON THE OTHER LEG.val :cry:PS
; HES FINE IN HIMSELF

Picture564.jpg

Picture563.jpg

Picture562.jpg

Maybe a layer of glue over the wound might help keep them together.

I'm not sure about the skin :?

do rabbits suffer from auto immune disease? or could it be grass seeds working their way out? (just plucking ideas out of the sky here, i know every year we are warned to check our dogs after being out in long grass as the seeds can cause some nasty wounds if they get imbedded). perhaps the skin tearing is a secondary symptom of something else, could he have diabetes or a thyroid problem? i dont even know if any of these things even occur in bunnies :?
i have probably been no help what so ever, healing vibes for the little man xx

Thanks for your replys, hes doing ok has had the drains taken out. Still got the collor on as he licks it you take it off. Will have to wait and see, hes having stitches out next tues that will be the test as he will have the collor off. val

I rearly dont know part of me thinks shes not telling me the truth, i just dont know. Its very frustrating not knowing. Only when hes better we will know , because if there is a skin problem then it will happen again. val

how strange... hope it doesnt happen again sounds horrid. Sorry i cant give you any suggestions as to what could cause it but hope he heals up ok

Well hes healing ok but still not able to take collor off hes straight at his leg :( . Im getting worried now as to what hes going to do after the stitches come out. val

Back