• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiacil Eyedrops - Long-term use?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know the affects of long-term use of Tiacil eye drops in Rabbits?

Louie has now been on them a month or so as he has a recurrent tear duct problem. They have worked surprisingly well for him and seem to be keeping the infection at bay. :)

At the moment he is on one drop every other day but when we tried to reduce this down to one drop every three days the infection started to come back.

After much discussion with Rebecca it looks like he is going to have to stay on Tiacil for the foreseeable future, have a duct flush if the duct gets really blocked and keep an eye on his teeth. Poor little chap has been as good as gold throughout his treatment. :love:

Louise

Hi, Tilly has been on Tiacil on and off for the same problem for over 6 months. I don't know if there are any long-term effects. However, lately I have stopped using the tiacil and just use saline solution to wash her eye out instead. She has a constant milky discharge but this seems to keep it clean and clear of gunk.

My vet said if using Tiacil, to use for 5 consecutive days for infection. Have you tried this? b-m

Yes he was on it for one week solid twice a daily and then we gradually dropped it down to once a day every other day. He's fine with this but if we try and reduce the drops further the infection starts to come back so I think we will be sticking to the once every other day from now on.

Louise

Hi louise, I had a bun on Tiacil off and on for 2yrs and it didn't seem to have any long term side affects. He had a similar problem when he was on the penicillin, everytime we tried to cut him down the infection would flair up again so we ended up on injections every other day for 8 mths. Good luck and hope he gets sorted out.

is he bonded louise? having a partner can help and they clean theys for them and the licking can help relieve the blockage!

Back