• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can someone please help me? - UPDATE

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I've now had Pippa for about a month and I'm beginning to think I'm so useless with her I shouldn't have got her. She's still hunched in her cage and looks depressed. I can't pick her up (she won't let me) so have to transport her in a carrier which I have to force her into, and today I've not even been able to do that - I gave up after 20 mins of trying to persuade her into the carrier, she growls and grunts and looks terrified. So she's spent the whole day in her cage giving the occasional stamp. She just looks so unhappy. She's actually looking more unhappy and depressed than she has been. When I can put her out in a run she perks up briefly then just hunches in a corner. She stamps most of the night keeping us awake. I'm really worried about her and thinking it's my fault. She wasn't the best choice for a first time bunny I don't think. I keep considering if I should offer her for rehoming to a better bunny mum than me who could perhaps offer her a boyfriend and more experienced handling. I've wanted a house bun for so long and it's just become a nightmare and I can't sleep for worrying.

Can you all give me advice on my options:

1. Convert the shed and put her outside with run attached
2. Get her spayed, wait 6 weeks, get a friend and put her outside
3. Persevere inside
4. Rehome her and maybe start again with a baby bunny

Sorry if I sound desperate but I feel so unhappy today with it all :cry: :cry:

UPDATE THURS AM

Well dragged Pippa to vets for a VHD jab, and booked her in for spay next Tuesday. The vet said she thought most of her problems were caused by hormones but might take a couple of months to settle - THIS LONG :shock: Once she's over the operation she'll go outside and once settled I'll try to bond her.

Thanks for your support everyone

Kathryn xx

Awww Kay these bunnies really know how to worry us don't they :cry:

Has she been for a good check up at the vets? Aggression, hunching etc can be signs of a bun in pain, so it's probably the first thing to try and to eliminate.

If the bun is found to be in good health, I would opt for spaying, as there is a good chance that this will calm her down. It may be that the hormones are causing her problems, or maybe she has pain in her womb which is causing her to be particularly grumpy.

Is she able to come out of her cage and run around the house at all? Again, a lack of exercise can cause joint stiffness so if you are able to let her come out and wander around of her own accord, this will help build her confidence and reduce stiffness.

Please don't feel guilty about the thought of having to give her up though - sometimes it takes a stronger person to admit that you can't cope, than it does to keep battling on with everyone unhappy. But I do think there are a few avenues left to explore yet, starting with a trip to the vet! If you do end up opting for rehoming, to be honest the last thing I'd suggest is a baby bunny, as you will never know what a little horror they might turn into at puberty. You'd be better off going to a rescue who know their rabbits inside out and getting an adult bun with a known temperament that will match well to your household.

Good luck, please do keep us posted xx

Aww, don't give up. It's not you :) Some bunnies are just a little more work that others but they are often the ones that turn out to be wonderful companions.

I would start with a trip to the vets for a full MOT (make sure that includes a teeth check). The first thing to rule out with grumpy buns is a health problem. No one shows their best side when they are feeling under the weather :) Your vet can also check her eye-sight and hearing as they can also effect a rabbits behaviour.

Whilst your there talk to you're vet about spaying. Hormones are problem number two to rule out and spaying is the way to do it. Grunting, growling, lunging and guarding her bed are all things associated with those pesky hormones.

Once you've got rid of those two issues you know where you are - what you're seeing is her, not pain or hormones clouding her behaviour. You might find she developes it to a lovely companion or she might need a little bit more work.

Your goal - become her best pal :D The eastiest way to do that is to associate yourself with things she already likes. Food is a good choice - from now on the best bits only come from your hand. That could be her favourite veggies or pellets fed one by one. Go down to her level and let her come to you. From now on if you want to read a book, write a letter etc. do it sat next to her cage. You don't have to interact with her, rabbits often spend getting-to-know you time totally ignoring the other rabbit and just sitting a foot or two away and resting or washing.

Make sure she has somewhere to hide in both her cage and her run. She might be hiding in the corner because she feels exposed. Rabbits feel safer and are more likely to explore if they know they have somewhere safe to run too. You might like to leave her carrier in as her safe place then she'll become more used to it.

Does she have things to do in her run/ You might like to give her a couple of cardboard boxes and a ball or two, plus things she can throw around like a plastic cup or flower pot.

Hope that gives you a starting point :)

Tamsin

I'm actually taking her to the vets tomorrow for a VHD jab so I'll get her checked - she was given a clean bill of health a month ago though. I've tried giving her toys, balls, boxes etc but she ignores them, it's like she doesn't know how to play. That's why I thought putting her in a bigger space like the shed might give her opportunity to exercise more, although she'd get to know me less. However the nightime stamping means she'll have to go out, it echoes round the house and is waking us up!

Spaying and a outgoing companion might be a good solution then. Rabbits do pick up on others behaviour so if you went from a very people friendly bun that may help her and atleast you have one bun you can cuddle ;)

A sheet of polystyrine under the cage should work well for sound dampening - you can often pick it up in fish shops as they use it under fish tanks :)

That's a good point Tam - they really do improve when paired up. As much as anything, I think it gives them a reason to want to move around and play, and a friendly, outgoing rabbit can teach them to enjoy life and can also show them that humans are not scary!

My little Santa was such a scaredy when she first arrived that her chin used to physically wobble and shake when you got anywhere near her and she would run a mile to avoid me. Now, after pairing her with Dudley who is quite a confident little chap, she comes rushing up to me to see if I have any food and will happily eat from my hand. Pairing definitely makes a huge difference.

What's silly is that she seems quite bonded to me, will let me stroke and feed her and seems pleased to see me. She hates my OH and son though! She just gets very upset if I go to pick her up. The vet managed by scruffing her neck and still struggled - dreading tomorrow :(

kayjay said:
What's silly is that she seems quite bonded to me, will let me stroke and feed her and seems pleased to see me. She hates my OH and son though! She just gets very upset if I go to pick her up. The vet managed by scruffing her neck and still struggled - dreading tomorrow :(

Oh dear a Bun should never be 'scruffed' as a means of handling :(

Is she a Rescue Bun?
If so do you have any history of her previous owners?
If she appears to dislike your son/hubby could a male or a child have been unkind to her in her previous home?

I am CERTAIN your Bun is exhibiting fear.Maybe from past trauma or just because she is ultra-nervy..
If you can spend HOURS with her just giving nose-rubs, treats or just sitting in a run with her she WILL gain confidence.
Buns like her need LOTS of intensive interaction. The more you let her avoid contact with you the more withdrawn she will become.
It may take MONTHS but with lots of input from you she WILL become more people friendly.

Janex

Some buns just need a little time. I've had 3 of mine for over a year now, they will come right up to me, eat from my hand but I'm not allowed to stroke them or pick them up. I use a pet carrier to move them around, how ever Lavender has now decided she hates the pet carrier and I have to chase her around to get her in it. Nothing bad has happend to her in the pet carrier and it was about a year ago that she went to the vet in it so I don't know what's put her off :?

As others have suggested, a check up at the vets to make sure she's in good health, then spay her, then get a neuterd friendly male. Should do the trick.
She'll probably never be a cuddle bunny. Lavender is such a dominant little rabbit but she has so much personality I wouldn't swop her for the world.

Rabswood

Hiya

How old is Pippa now?
It could be hormones or that she is a bit lonely, and missing her litter companions if she is young?

Hope all goes well with the vet..

Jx

Apache said:
Hiya

How old is Pippa now?
It could be hormones or that she is a bit lonely, and missing her litter companions if she is young?

Hope all goes well with the vet..

Jx

She's about 2 years so I think it's hormones. I can sympathise as I don't feel good right now either! She was from a children's farm park but hadn't been handled much (if at all). She was kept on her own in a hutch and had had one litter. Then put up for rehoming. She responded to me straight away and I fell for her, and she's still ok with me, but seems very depressed still. I just want to make her a happy bunny! My OH says if we make outside nice for her and get her another bun he think she'll be happier, she does perk up when she agrees to go outside.

Poor Pippa!

Hopefully once she has been spayed she will settle down...

You could try some rescue remedy with her?

I'm sure once she can go out more, and she has a friend she will be a lot happier.

Also, you will hopefully be able to get her a pal quite easily, as most of the rescues I contacted had loads of males but hardly any girls.

Fingers crossed for you both...

Jx

Rabbits do learn from each other.
My Dougal would not eat hay, would never even look at it.
On sunday I got his girlfriend Mhairi, she eats normal hay and I have noticed that Dougal has started eating it too.
So maby the advice of getting her spayed then and outgoing boyfriend might bring her out her shell a little.

You will still have to spend lots of time with them.

Back