• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

disharge - Fri PM update

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hi

I am so sorry it is me again.

As some of you know Dobbin has been sneezing well today his sneezes are much stronger and he has a lot of white discharge from his nose. I think he may of lost weight but i am not sure, Chris does not think so though. I have not seen discharge before but there does appear top be quite a lot of it.

Please help, what do i do? Do i need to get him to the vets?

Sorry

Sue
xx

earliest appointment they have is 3:30.

What could it be?

I am really worried. Sorry i know i am a pain, don't want to lose him, but its not that serious is it?!

Sue
xx

It'll probably be an infection and they'll give you antibiotics (like baytril). I'm sure he'll be ok. :D

It could be a few things Snuffles being the main culprit of sneezing and snotty discharge, you can get he vet to take a swab of the snot and have it cultured that way you will get a definate anser as to what it is, if they do prescribe Antibiotics then he will need a minimum 7 day course at 1ml a day if it's baytril, if they give you less then it is likley that the snots will return. Good luck XX

i just hope he will be ok, he is eating but not wolfing it down like he usually is, he seems happy enough in himself - at the moment.

Sue
x

He'll be fine. Salt is being treated at the moment for an upper respiratory infection (snotty nose!) and has been on Baytril for about 3 weeks. The vet has checked Salt's chest to make sure it's not travelled.
She also said that it may be dust that's irritating his nose, so I've removed all of the straw bedding now and just use megazorb and hay.
It's only serious if you don't act on it. Lucky Dobbin is very well looked after.

i use straw, wood pellets, dust extracted sawdust, but because he was sneezing i had been working through them to see which was making him sneeze. So what should i use? Its not something i have done which has caused it is it?

Next week my OH and i are building him a shed and run to have the run of - he is spolit rotten, Chris is coming home from work to go to vets with me - yes i know i am a wimp. - sorry.

Sue
xx

It may be that the sawdust and straw are making him sneeze. See what the vet says. Some bunnies are prone to it and others aren't - Pepper lives in the same environment and there's nothing wrong with him. The best thing to do (and you're doing it, so don't worry :wink:) is to know your bunny really well and if something is unusual, get it checked out straight away.
Dobbin certainly sounds spoilt!

We use megazorb, and it's great! Really absorbant.
For Squidgy inside we use the pet blankets ( much cheaper than vetbed) and they are great as they wash out very quickly. The only problem there is if they decide to chew it :? Squidgy has no incisors, so it's not a problem for him :D

what happens if he does eat it - is it bad for him?

He sounds all snuffly - bunged up - like we do when we have a cold - awww bless him

:( :( :cry:
Sue
xx

It could cause a blockage if he eats it. Try him with one and see what he does.
I got mine from a pound shop and Poundstretcher sell them too.

Good luck at the vets later... i am sure dobbin will be fine with some anti biotics... let us know how he gets on.

trying to find local place that sells megazorb and vet bed at mo! I shall donate all my sawdust and straw to local RSPCA, think they will appreciate it? Only just brought a load more. When we have the shed done i shall line the shed and hutch witrh lino, then put some vet bed in and lots of hay. Hopefully this will be ok.HE is eating some dried sweetcorn at mo and he is pooing fine - will be happier when been to vet.

Thank you to everyone.

You are probably laughing at how concerned i am!!

Sue
xx

Awww poor Dobbin :cry: It certainly sounds like an upper respiratory tract infection - the white discharge is a common symptom of the infection. The trouble with rabbits is that they are nose-breathers, so obviously having a snotty nose will make it less comfortable for him to breathe and also for him to smell his food -hence he may be less enthusiastic about his dinner!

It's unlikely to be just an allergy if there is a white discharge - although obviously an allergy might exacerbate the problem.

A course of antibiotics should sort it out, although you just need to be aware that buns who are 'prone' to this sort of infection do tend to get occasional recurrences. Baytril is a good starting point but don't be afraid to ask your vet to try some different antibiotics if you don't feel that it's helping. It will probably need a fairly long course as the most resistant bacteria might take a while to be killed off - if the course is finished too quickly, it can recur.

Good luck, Dobbin sounds like he's in the very best of hands!

Back