• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why nose rub?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Someone post this from another thread, and I also notice some other members mentioned nose rub before.

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

what so great about nose rub? I mean, human don't like other's to rub their nose, why would a rabbit like it? It's soft muscle, are we suppose to rub it?

Also, regarding grooming, from that link, it says I'm suppose to move my hand from the front of the head (top) and brush towards the back. But one direction only.

Now all these years, I have been moving my hand back and forth on my rabbits' forehead. So two direction instead of one. Is that wrong?

I rub up and down in the spot just above their nose, between their eyes. Not all of them are into it but Humpty and Pepper will both try and push their noses in front of my hand to get a turn. They love it and will both start to grind their teeth with happiness. So that's why!

Rabbits greet each other by gently bumping the part between the eyes so it's your way of saying hello like a bun. My buns don't care either way, they only love me when I have food lol.

Happy Hopping said:
what so great about nose rub? I mean, human don't like other's to rub their nose, why would a rabbit like it?

But humans don't like eating their poos or licking to wash themselves, or digging burrows, or eating grass. You can't transfer what humans would like, onto any animal, you have to understand the nature and instincts of that particular animal.

As has been said, rabbits greet each other by bumping noses; pairs of rabbits also groom each other around their noses and heads so it is obviously something that many of them like.

i wonder if it also that in a pair of bunns the one who is receiving the grooming (nose rubs) is the dominant one- so the bunns are happy that you are accepting their dominance?

When I give Deej nose rubs, I say to him "groomy, groomy" and he'll lick my arms to groom me! it's a bunny bonding thing! :love:

I thought nose rub is to rub the wiggling part of the nose. the area between the eyes is more going back to the grooming part of that article.

Back