• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnys head - perforated ear drum

cazza

Mama Doe
Hi
I went to a friends house last night and she is looking after her neighbours bun while they are away.
The bun has one ear up and one ear lopped (he is only young) , he seems to tilt his head slightly to the lopped ear. is this normal? my friend thought it might be cos of the weight of his ear.........i was a bit concerned about him.
I have given her loads of info about how to care for him as the owners dont seem to know - poor bun had no hay and his cage is too small. he had not been given veggies but i left her a list of what to give him etc. i have offered him a home if they get fed up as he is such a cuddly bunny - i was in love.

caz

i dont know if this helps or not but Dobbin nearly always has one ear up and one down - as in photo.

Sue
xx

thanks for that. he doesnt tilt as much as in the pic on the link but i have suggested he go to the vets to have his ear checked incase of infection. I felt so sorry for him as he was gorgeous. I just hope his owners take notice and do something for him. I also hope they take note of the list of care instructions i left

caz

I'd definitely recommend that the rabbit is taken to the vets for a check up. I lost 2 rabbits to a head tilt because I didn't know much about it (was younger then). James had head tilt too and would have lost him if he hadn't been taken to the vet in early stages.

It's so good to hear that my little Bertie isn't odd. He has always had one ear up and one down ever since he was a baby! I think it actually makes him look even cuter!!

well the people who own the bun came home saturday and she mentioned my concerns to them. It appears the bun has been to the vets previously and he was diagnosed with a perforated ear drum.!!

He is apparantly 100% better than he was - he is now 6mth old.

the vet they saw basically wanted to put him to sleep however they said they were willing to pay to get him a quality of life so he had medication for 4 weeks and is now looking better than he was.

does anyone have any experience of a perforated ear drum in a bun?

also does anyone know of a rabbit savvy vet in milnrow (manchester way) they can use as opposed to the nasty one they went to?

thanks

Back