• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting floors in to an indoor rabbit hutch / dog cage

woodstock

Mama Doe
I'm getting a large dog cage in preparation for the arrival of 'Tuesday' this weekend (Egg's new playmate), but I'd like to utilise some of the height of the cage by putting a 'half' floor in.

I was just planning on buying some MDF from b&q and cutting it to shape, then somehow attaching it to the cage...

Anyone got any neater/better solutions?

do not use MDF!
it contains urea formaldehyde which is released during cutting and sanding. this substances is highly irritant to both the eyes and lungs (aside from the fact that it is a known carcenogenic and has been assosiated with birth defects).

maxxev said:
do not use MDF!
it contains urea formaldehyde which is released during cutting and sanding. this substances is highly irritant to both the eyes and lungs (aside from the fact that it is a known carcenogenic and has been assosiated with birth defects).

eap... ok - what's better?

maxxev said:
do not use MDF!

It's only the dust, so if you cut it in a well ventilated area and wear protection it will be ok.

Deelove said:
It's only the dust, so if you cut it in a well ventilated area and wear protection it will be ok.

unless the mdf is then treated after cutting the chemicals will still be released into the air (or into the rabbits nose or mouth when they graw on the board etc..)
since most wood treatments are unsafe for use with animals (the oil and wax based finishes will slow down but not elimate the release of urea formaldehyde) and bearing in mind the length of time and close proximity your animal will have to endure, i repeat my recomendation that mdf is not used in the construction of animal housing.

You could stick carpet to it for grip, and perhaps add a ramp. Tilly and Humphrey have carpet in their crate with a carpeted corner shelf (their 'bedroom'). b-m

I did the instructions that are on the forum, my buns have had an mdf shelf for a couple of years now, my dad is a carpenter and I've also asked my mate who is wood engineer - mdf is fine for the shelf, just be careful when you cut if (mask etc as the dust is carcenogenic) once its made, its fine, its not a problem. Would just like to point out that clothes are alo treated with formaldehyde but people wear them without problems.

PM me or email me if you have any probs with the instructions.

We've got a new version of the shelf, we now screw the ramp to the cross bar and have put rubber gripping up the ramp instead of the beading, the buns seems much happier with it as they don't slip anymore.

Back