• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miffy has e-cuniculi - advice please :-(

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Miffy’s blood test results are back… she tested positive for e-cuniculi. The vet’s prescribed some drugs which we’re picking up tonight – sorry I don’t remember the name but I’ll edit this post when I get them. The e-cuniculi is what he thinks has been affecting her back legs.

What does this mean in terms of her overall quality of life? The vet said that we can treat her now but there’s no hard and fast way of eliminating it and it’ll likely be a recurring problem. Will she eventually die from this? How long might she live – she’s very nearly 2 years old. :cry:

Please, any advice from those with rabbits who have, or have had e-cuniculi would be gratefully received as I have no idea what to expect.

Many thanks,

AMETHYST

Oh Liz, I have no advice but have a huge hug
bighug.gif

Im sure Miffy will pick up with some new drugs to help her

Oh Amethyst, im really sorry to hear about Miffy i have no advice im sorry but sending bigs hugs and nose rubs to miffy XX

It's usually pancur used to treat it. As I understand it, the treatment should prevent further deterioration in the future but it won't necessarily reverse damage already done although their might be a slight improvement :)

Tam

first thing ...dont panic .

the treatment is probably panacur .
it will stop the parasite causing further problems .
how well your bun recovers will depend on what damage is already done and where .

we had a bun come to us with e cuniculi . She was incontinent and had lost most of the use in her back legs . she also had head tilt .

She has been treated with panacur and her new owner has help build her muscles back up with excercise . She can now get arouned as well as any bun . you can still she is stiff legged but this doesnt bother her at all . She is now litter trained as she has regained control of her bladder.

So take one stage at a time and dont give up .
good luck

Angie

There is some info about EC here

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.pdf

I expect your Vet will prescribe a 28 day course of oral fenbendazole (Panacur) which kills off the parasite.
Any damage already done, usually neurological and/or renal, tends to be permanent BUT you can do a lot to help Miffy.
Physio to her back legs several times a day will help reduce muscle wastage. Anti-inflammatories are ESSENTIAL.
IF renal function is impared it can be monitored by blood tests and if your Vet feels Miffy's renal function is deteriorating then he/she may suggest treating her with anabolic steroids and multi-vitamins. Dietary modification can also help with Buns in renal failure. Slightly lower calcium and LOW phosphate-so no carrots or banana).

Any Buns who have had contact with Miffy or the territory she uses should also be treated with Panacur as the EC spores are excreted in an infected Buns wee.

Hope some of this info is of use.

Janex

nicole said:
Should every rabbit be tested for this?

Recent research sponsored by the RWA indicates that up to 80% of Pet Rabbits have been exposed to EC. If an asymptomatic rabbit gets a positive titre for EC then that DOES NOT CONFIRM ACTIVE INFECTION.
It just means Bun has been exposed to the parasite.To confirm infection in an ASYMPTOMATIC Bun a series of blood tests are needed to see if the titre rises (which would indicate active infection)

From reading the results of the EC study sponsored by the RWA it appears that at the moment a blood test for EC is only indicated in Buns presenting with symptoms.Although it is being suggested that a time may come when all Buns should routinely be treated for EC (rather like having Myxo/VHD Vaccinations.
This may present as a problem for rescues as the current treatment is of 28 day duration........

Janex

Remember the spores excreted in urine can stay in the active in grass area for up to 4 months....good luck and don't despair with the correct treatment your bun could enjoy a few years yet!

Hobbes is on a course of Panacur at the moment. As he is a difficult bun to handle i give him it on a cabbage leaf instead of syringing it into his mouth. He eats it up no problem! (thanks to Jill for that tip!) :D

I had a bun with it just over 18mths ago she was on panacur and so were all my others. She made a full recovery but unfortunately got cancer of the oesphagus and had to be pts.
Sending you a hug and a big snuggle for Miffy

Back