• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maggots in Readigrass!!!

toffee

Mama Doe
My boyfriend has just found MAGGOTS in my readigrass!! :shock: :shock: :x :x

At first I just heard him say "rabbits" and "maggots" :shock: and I freaked :roll: - but thankfully it's just the readigrass container outside and not the buns!!

Do I need to throw all the readigrass away or just the top layer with the maggots? (It's a full 15kg bag!!! :roll: )

It was about a month ago - I think the flies have laid eggs at my house to be honest. Never mind!!! Better the readigrass than the buns!

You need to store it in a different type of container as if the bin is plastic and particularly if it has a lid it makes the Readigrass sweat and attracts flies/maggots :mrgreen:
Found that out for myself last year.....YUCK :mrgreen:

Janex

toffee said:
What do you store it in Jane?

A wooden crate with netting as a 'lid' to allow air to circulate. In the winter storing it is not a problem but in the summer it can be tricky.
At least with 35 Buns its not in storage long here :lol:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
toffee said:
What do you store it in Jane?

A wooden crate with netting as a 'lid' to allow air to circulate. In the winter storing it is not a problem but in the summer it can be tricky.
At least with 35 Buns its not in storage long here :lol:

Janex

I'll have to go to the farm shop on saturday anyway to get some more (they'll have to make do with hay until then). I'll ask them what they recommend.

Crikey, thanks for bringing this up. I've just bought a big bag of Just Grassand have just left it in the original (plastic) bag. Do you think I should transfer it to some other storage?

HS said:
Crikey, thanks for bringing this up. I've just bought a big bag of Just Grassand have just left it in the original (plastic) bag. Do you think I should transfer it to some other storage?

Mine was in the original bag. :x Big mistake. :x

I use these but leave them in the shed, so not in the sun at all, and they dont sweat

IMG_4499.jpg

kayjay said:
Where do you get readigrass from (without maggots!!) ?
Try phoning round local animal feed suppliers - people who sell food for horses. I did a google search for shops and then just phoned them.

Back