• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to pts

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I've read on here before the things you should consider before putting an animal to sleep- it was 3 or 4 things such as stopped eating etc.

Anyone know the rest please? Cant find it on a search x

When to PTS a bun or any animal is a personal choice to everyone. I would only put an animal to sleep if it was suffering and nothing else could be done as do most people. I wouldn't say there were set steps to follow as I think each individual knows when the time is right for their animal.

I know what you mean- I would always consider it on an individual basis.
I'm not talking about putting a healthy animal to sleep or even a slightly ill one- just what to consider when the end seems near.

there was something that I read on here before which i thought was very good advice regarding this- it was just a few things to consider, such as stopped eating- thats all I'm after- what was said in an old post. Will have a look again.

Just wanted to add that I personally know when it is time to put an animal to sleep- i just wanted to know about an old post so I can advise someone who disagrees with me of the things to consider....

I don't think there are set steps which will lead you to a yes or no on pts.

I think if you know your animal well, you know when they've had enough. When Nougat had flystrike, I kept going with her treatment when maybe others thought I should let it go (no one said this btw). BUT her eyes still had a sparkle in them. WHen she lost that sparkle I know it was time ot let her go. The same for Patch. I could see from her eyes she was still enjoying life (and being with her Bobby).
In both cases, I had taken the decision to pts, but the bunnies beat me to it! Nougat died naturally on the vets' table and Patch in the night ( I was going to take her to the vets the following day).
Each case must be taken on its own merits I think.

Having had to make 'that decision' many, many times I ALWAYS go on each individual rabbit. One Bun may cope very well with intensive nursing where-as another may find the very hands on treatment extremely stressful.
For example I have nursed 2 Buns with hind leg paralysis and bladder incontinence. One, Seamus, coped very well with all the cleaning he needed several times a day and having his bladder manually expressed.
I nursed him for 6 months until the paralysis started to progress to his front legs. He was happy and eating well but I did not want him to get to the stage where he could not move at all as I knew he would be frightened :cry:
Another Bun, Jane, had the same problem. But after 2 weeks it became obvious she could not cope with the intensive care. She became depressed and panicked every time I tried to move her or empty her bladder. So she was PTS much sooner :cry:

Janex

It is a very hard decision to make, and you must think of your pet at all times.
Just as Jane has said it very much depends on your rabbit.
Do not ever let anyone bully you into making that decision.
Only you can ever truly know your bun, and you will know when it's time.

Thanks for your comments guys, but I don't think I've explained myself very well, i was looking for some very specific info...don't worry

edited to add:

This is what I meant:
1. Appetite: does she still like to eat?
2. Affection: does she exchange affection with you or any other companion?
3. Attitude: is she interested? Does she like to watch, sniff, and listen to the things going on around her? Does she still show pride and try to groom herself?

I personally think this is good advice on measuring quality of life.

That sort of info is realy difficult to give.
1-is the rabbit eating?
2-is the rabbit drinking?
3-does the rabbit have quality of life?
4-is it in constant pain?
5-what sort of problem does it have?
6-is it stressed by it's condition?

This is just a small amount of things you should take into consideration.
Again only you will know when it's time.
If you have been in that position (and I hope you never are) you will know.
It's a gut instint thing.
Sorry for being so vague.

nicole said:
That sort of info is realy difficult to give.
1-is the rabbit eating?
2-is the rabbit drinking?
3-does the rabbit have quality of life?
4-is it in constant pain?
5-what sort of problem does it have?
6-is it stressed by it's condition?

This is just a small amount of things you should take into consideration.
Again only you will know when it's time.
If you have been in that position (and I hope you never are) you will know.
It's a gut instint thing.
Sorry for being so vague.

Thanks Nicole, I just edited my post above at the same time!
Unfortunately yes I have been in that situation with a few pets throughout my life and I agree, you do know when they have had enough. One in particular, Bob (rabbit) had a facial abcess and a vet recommended he be put to sleep. I refused and carried on with another vet for 2 months until he died naturally very quickly. He was happy, binkying and eating right up until the end so i know I made the right decision.

The reason for my original question is because one of our office rats has gone down hill very quickly after recent vet treatment - I personally think he may be near the end, but others in the office do not think so and are clinging on to the hope of a recovery.

I don't think it is 'his time' yet, but it may be soon- I was just wanting to explain to them what things to consider really, but its obviously quite upsetting so I couldn't think straight.

Anyway, he has an appointment with the vet in the morning

Back