• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd Bunny Behaviour UPDATE 14/8/06

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
I picked up a New Foster on Sunday. He's a very pretty, apparently neutered buck, with issues. He's a serious biter. You can read his history on here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=25307

Anyway, the lady I got him from, who has fostered him for 6 weeks, showed me some bites she had - she was obviously nervous around him.

I got him home, & he's settled in a dog crate in my living room. He was very quiet - didn't seem to like the travelling much, but he's acting "odd".

I had him on my knee last night (I checked, def a boy), & he seemed quite happy to be stroked. (I had a jumper on, 2 pairs of trousers & hiking socks on my feet & hands :oops: Was boiling!!!). But he's relaxed, then suddenly he tenses up, arches his back (& looks hunched), tail goes up, ears go back. I waited for the bite & just kept talking gently to him, & he seemed to relax again. The whole thing lasted seconds. He did it several times. He also did it when he was alone in his dog crate. (I was a few feet away, talking to him). I fed him his tea (mix at the min), & he ate it happily enough, with me nearby, but sometimes he lifted his head right up to eat. When a horse does this, it can sometimes mean their teeth need checking.

The lady I got him from, said that he wasn't too bad when she got him, but got worse as his confidence grew. Also, when I sexed him, he was making those quiet wuffling noises that a bun makes when it's scared - but no evident aggression.

He also apparently loves digging.

Is there anyway I can see if he's neutered, or will a vet be able to see?

I'm off to the vets on Friday for a VHD (a bun, obviously not me! :shock: ), so he's coming for a once over.

Dunno. :?

Sounds like a frrightened bun to me - must have had a bad people experience - but don't know what to suggest.

Erm...after Hann was neutered the 'sacks' looked kind of small and shrunken- there was a marked difference from before the neuter.

I would deffo get his back teeth checked out as it does sounds rather strange :?

Hi Angie

Three out of the five buns I have had from the same place as this bun have had dental problems, two quite serious. Two of the bunnies have now passed away (Sweetpea in June and I lost little Juliet on Saturday night). I did mention to Kathy that he may be in pain hence the aggression - hope his teeth are okay. :( The hutches were very small so back pain is perhaps another possibility. You have my number if I can help at all - however the rough handling these buns received and the lack of veterinary care is obviously taking their toll. :(

Sarah

it does sound strange Angie .
not behaviour like Arthur our biter shows .

id def get him checked out to rule out pain related behaviour .

just a word of warning . Just cos he hasnt biten yet doesnt mean he wont . watch him closely and note the signs . once you can read him he ll be easier to handle .
Arthur didnt bite at first :shock: :?

poor boy . might just be a case of getting his own back on us humans .

Angie

Just a thought have you tried doing some T Touches on his back?

(if you aren't too hot!)

Sounds like he might be a bit sore?

Jx

Cheers guys.

Will get the vet to check him over Friday.

He's completely puzzling me. He's almost friendly - really curious, & running over to have a look at me, then completely changing his behaviour. I do think it might be pain.

Still not bitten yet, but taking precautions!

sitting with the held held upwards is also a sign that the rabbit has difficultly breathing (occasional seen in a rabbit that has bloat...pressure on the lungs/ respiratory infections /and heart problems) i would ask the vet to listen to his chest to make sure his heart rate is normal.

maxxev said:
sitting with the held held upwards is also a sign that the rabbit has difficultly breathing (occasional seen in a rabbit that has bloat...pressure on the lungs/ respiratory infections /and heart problems) i would ask the vet to listen to his chest to make sure his heart rate is normal.

Will do :thumb:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not fear that causes the biting!! Last night, after dashing madly round the living room for a half hour, Calel (possible Superman obsession going too far :oops: ), jumped onto the settee.
I was happily watching Sex & The City, drinking red wine (ran out of white :? ), so had removed full-handling-bun-body-armour. I then spent the next 20 mins getting humped & sprayed. No biting, whatsoever - a bit of over-zealous licking, & turns out he REALLY likes my right knee. :shock: He doesn't like his head being touched, but behind the ears is fine, & he let me pick him up - but in a "I can still see your knee..."way. This morning he was eating yoghurt drops out of my un-gloved hand & I was allowed to give him a nose rub, though I don't think he really knew what to make of it.

I will bet the rest of my salary, that he is un-neutered!!! (Sorry guys - vets bills means there's about £8 left!!! :lol: )

It was so funny - I didn't want to cause any biting (figured the longer he gets used to NOT biting, the better), so I just sat there & kept pushing him off me!! Mum rang & I was like "Can I call back, I've just been cornered by a rabbit" :lol:

Well, he's been to the Vets. Vet was happy with his weight/teeth/coat/back & apparently he IS neutered.
He then bit her.

Right. What next? :? :lol:

That is a bit odd :?

Could just be a bit eccentric :lol:

or perhaps....I don't know anything about it....but maybe he has some kind of minor brain damage?? :?

Or, wasn't he kept in really bad conditions before?....perhaps he's just not used to 'normal' bunny behaviour?

Maybe he'll calm down with a friend

Back