• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

recommended age to spey females

[/quote]If you have 2 boys or 2 girls that are growing up together it is important to get them neutered before the hormones kick in, this will obviously depend on your vet but my vet neuters boys as soon as their testicles drop (usually around 12 weeks depending on breed) and the girls as soon as they are 1kg in weight (around 14 weeks for an average dwarf lop). There are many benefits from having them neutered at such a young age. With the boys, their hormones will not have kicked in yet so you can drasticaly increase the chances of them staying together. With the girls, the operation is not so severe at a young age, adult does develop a layer of fat around the uterus meaning there is more for the vet to cut through to get to it. I recently had 2 litters of dwarf lops and all of the males and females were neutered at 14 weeks, within a week after the op they were all healed up.

well i wanted to know what public opinion was as i know one vet that says it can be done at 8 weeks and in his opinion better done early because there is minuim fat already laid down causing problems

My vet does does at 5 months, males at 4 if their bits have appeared.

The Textbook of Rabbit meds says that too early and the ovaries etc are too hard to find. And given my vets experience when I talked her into spaying a guinea this can be a real problem and result in longer under anesthetic (I lost a guinea this way :cry: :cry: :cry: ).

I normally wait until the does are 6 months.

As it's such a big of in something so small if they're done at 1kg.

I know this is one thing that Cheryl and I disagree on though :D and I do see where she's coming from on it, but there so small at that size and I'm such a softy. :D

rngpwelfare said:

I know this is one thing that Cheryl and I disagree on though :D and I do see where she's coming from on it, but there so small at that size and I'm such a softy. :D

its just very difficult for me tracey as you know i had one bunny come in and she has 11 kits and they have fought so now all in separate cages and they are just taking up cages when i have a big waiting list to come in so want to know the best age to get them done at!

I think I'd be more concerned about any potential impact on their growth and development by spaying them younger than 4 months for an average breed. Is it Dana Krempels (can't remember, it's certainly someone rabbit savvy) that I've read prefers to wait until females are 9 months old because she feels the hormones help with building bone density in growing bunsters?

bunnylove said:
rngpwelfare said:

its just very difficult for me tracey as you know i had one bunny come in and she has 11 kits and they have fought so now all in separate cages and they are just taking up cages when i have a big waiting list to come in so want to know the best age to get them done at!

How old are they now then Eve

I'd have a chat with your vet as to how young he's happy doing them at then.

AlisonA said:
I think I'd be more concerned about any potential impact on their growth and development by spaying them younger than 4 months for an average breed. Is it Dana Krempels (can't remember, it's certainly someone rabbit savvy) that I've read prefers to wait until females are 9 months old because she feels the hormones help with building bone density in growing bunsters?

golly if i had to wait until 9 months i may as well shut down for the next year :shock: taking a well deserved break maybe in order then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bunnylove said:

I know what you mean! I have 32 baby rabbits here at the moment :shock: It would be nice to be able to do them sooner, but not if it will hurt them :? I have to separate the first boys from the litters soon and it is going to be really hard to find them enough space :(

Esther Van De Praag (Medirabbit.com) says spays should be done at around 5 months. She says spays done too early are complicated by the paper thin uterus/ovaries and the Doe is put at risk of osteoporosis due to the effects of spaying before puberty on calcium metabolism.

Janex

Would you ever considering giving neutering vouchers as some rescues do with kittens or puppies? That ways its already paid for and people are more likely to actually get it done.

Would free up space much quicker.

rngpwelfare said:
bunnylove said:
rngpwelfare said:

How old are they now then Eve

I'd have a chat with your vet as to how young he's happy doing them at then.

there 12 weeks now so i am have it in mind at the moment well hard not to they are all in cages in my front room :shock:

(just didn't want you to try get them done too early if it isn't in their best interests and then have problems etc!).

Nicola[/quote]

if i didnt have that at heart why would i even ask :roll: :roll:

bunnylove said:
well i wanted to know what public opinion was as i know one vet that says it can be done at 8 weeks and in his opinion better done early because there is minuim fat already laid down causing problems

I would have said 8 weeks is too early, I wouldnt have thought they would be developed enough by then. As I said in my pm, Heather was spayed last week and she was only about 12 1/2 weeks. I find they recover and heal much quicker when they are done early. I see little point in rabbits sitting in rescue until they are 6 - 9 months when they could be spayed much earlier and in good homes by then :thumb:

Back