• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help? Anyone come across this?

After treating my rabbit Lily for stasis with an injection of metoclopramide and subsequent syringing with Propulsid, not much has happened.

She's now showing the following symptoms:

-Mild lethargy, not as bright as normal
-Not eating, except one or two sprigs of dried grass or herbs when really coaxed
-Not drinking willingly
-Not moving, but not in a hunched position
-But what's DIFFERENT since the meds is that she's now making a very gurgly liquid noise when she does hop around.

Our next vet appointment is tomorrow morning. I'm unsure of whether to give her tonight's dose of Propulsid because of the liquid gurgle noise. She's always had very audible guts but nothing like this.

Has anyone ever had any experience with rabbits getting this liquid noise? I'm starting to think she's got some type of bacterial enteritis. I don't want to continue massaging either, as I don't know what this liquid is.

Perhaps it's just the action of the Propulsid? I've never used it before, only metoclop.

Anyone?

Has she been pooing? How long has it been since the injection? Has she only just started to eat?

I've only used prepulsid (how however it is spelled) on a guinea pig. I understood that it was to expell excess gas.

When Jasper had stasis last week he had REALLY loud gurgling noises, when I was at the vets she was one side of the room and we were the other and he did it and the vet said 'Was that him?' and looked quite surprised.

He's fine now thankfully. I'd say def keep going with the tummy rubs, and syringe her some water and infacol if you have any. I did this with Jasper every hour and he was back to normal next morning :D Hope she's ok.

She's only had a few poos, VERY small and dark and most very soft, nothing for the last 12 hours or so. She's eating less now than she was 24 hours ago.

Will wait a few more hours until I give her the next dose of Propulsid, see what she does.

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the side effects of prepulsid is that it can cause stomach cramps. I gave my bunny thats had bloat, a dose of it on sat night and her stomach was making really loud noises and she developed really bad diarrhoea on sun. I have stopped it now and she seems to be improving. :D . I think it is better if poss to give metoclopramide injections every 8 hrs. Thats what I was doing for mine until I ran out sat night and had to use prepulsid. Make sure you give your bunny plenty of probiotics. They have worked wonders for Honey. :bunny:
I hope she is better soon.
Emily

Lily has perked up loads. After a second vet visit on Monday, I requested Metacam and Baytril, as I was still convinced it was pain causing her not to eat, probably in the mouth (see my previous topic: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27889). And it worked!

I just want to stress again that, when it comes to rabbits, the owner has a better knowledge of a bunny's quirks and habits. If something's "not right" and is bugging you, go to the vet. Lily was very obviously ill, but I thought from the very beginning that it was her teeth/mouth, and turned out to be right...

Back