• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know this is a bit premature but.....

kaskaskia

Alpha Buck
Whats the best way to keep bunnies warm in winter?
I have a hutch/run combo with ramp, the ramp can't be taken up as its a bit of a home made hutch, so there is always a hole in the floor of the hutch.
I'm really worried about winter months, as I've never had rabbits outside in winter (last winter my bun was a house bun but thats no an option this year).
Obviously plenty of hay, but can anyone recommend a good hutch cover that actually works?

As long as they're out of the wind and they have lots of hay to snuggle in and each other to snuggle up to, they should be fine.
Mine live in enclosures with hutches inside and usually choose to sit on top of the hutch - not in it :shock: :roll: I've tried putting lots of hay up there, boxes of hay etc, but they just chuck it all off!

Yes they do acclimatise incredibly well to the winter. Their coats grow nice and thick. Rabbits are fine with the cold, they can't cope with damp and draughts though, so just make sure there is a draught free area (presumably the 'dark' part where the hole doesn't come through) and it is cleaned regularly to remove any damp bedding. Mine are outdoors all year and are absolutely fine, even in the most bitter cold. In fact as HS said, they can frequently be found sitting out in their runs in the most obnoxious weather, even though they have the choice to be snuggled up inside, so it obviously doesn't bother them that much.

If you're worried, or if it's particularly cold, you can insulate your hutch using the silver-backed insulating stuff used behind radiators, which you can buy from B&Q etc. Or similarly, scratch and newston sell a 'hutch snuggle' and 'hutch hugger' - the snuggle keeps the heat in, and the hugger is rainproof to go over the top of it. http://www.scratchandnewtonshop.com/ They also sell 'snugglesafes' which are like microwaveable hot water bottles that are chew-resistant; again if it's particularly cold you can pop one of these in overnight and they stay hot for up to 10 hours.

I'm glad this has been brought up, as I was beginning to wonder too. It does get really bitter here in winter, being surrounded by sea, but my step-mum kept buns and she said the 2 used to huggle up and keep each other cosy, although a couple of times she put them in green house with windows open.

I bought a scrath and newton hutch hugger but tbh I wasnt impressed - I was £50+ for it (from ebay tho), my hutch is 4ftx18x18 and it was too small as doesnt allow for lip round outside, which most hutches have, so the ends didnt meet proerly together. the seller contacted the manufacturer and the next size up would have been miles to big, so my options were - to get 1 custom made, which would have cost me a fortune, or to "saw the lip of the hutch". ALso, when it rained the rain did soak down through the material (not on the clear door, but on the top), it's just thin material like what shell suits were made off, think you could prob make 1/get 1 made cheaper.

I have the same set up (hutch on top of run combo), and was wonderimg how to protect run from snow so they can still get out? I take it they dont like snow?

Do like the idea of the hot water bottley things tho, think I'll have a couple of them.

I'd sort of decided to move the hutch and run into my horse trailer (which is conveniently in my back garden!) over winter, they they are a foot or so off the ground, and also have some protection from the elements, I was planning on leaving the back ramp down during they day to allow more light in, and closing it at night.

Jx

PS - luckily I don't compete in the winter so I shouldn't need the trailer.

I was really worried about mine the winter just gone as it was bitter cold.I bought them a snugglesafe which they both ignored :? They had loads of straw and hay and they were fine.I have now got electricity in the shed so i can get a small heater if needs be.
I have heard though that this winter is going to be very mild but wet :)

They quite like the snow :wink:

DSCN0759.jpg

I'm glad someone's posted this, as I've only had my 2 since end March (although it was still cold), so they haven't been in their hutch/run combo in the coldest weather. They do seem pretty hardy though - they hardly ever seem to want to be upstairs in the hutch, unless it's pouring with rain!

I've got one of the 'hutch huggers', which I think is quite good - it has a front bit that pulls down and helps when it is absolutely pouring with rain.

awww helen, so cute!!!!

They do seem pretty hardy though - they hardly ever seem to want to be upstairs in the hutch, unless it's pouring with rain!
snap mine are in a cobi and they seem to spend only the afternoon in the hutch - from about 11am til 5pm ish dont see them, then they'r out all night (to begin with I shut them in at night, but its so warm at nights here just now), I still cover the hutch part with tarpauline so I've somewhere safe and covered to retreat if anything scares them

I put a piece of old carpet over the roof of the hutch and an old sleeping bag down the 'bed area' side of the hutch to insulate it, then I cover it all over with a piece of waterproof material. Then I cover the front with and old horse banket at night. Bunnies seem to handle the cold much better than the heat, and they love digging in the snow!
Rubyinsnow2.jpg

i am glad someone asked this - next week we are biuilding Dobbin a shed and run which he will have the run of and i am also worried about winter!

Sue
xx

Back