• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re Garden Centre Rabbit-U/D 18th August... Reply Received

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I went back in to the garden centre to see if Rex was in a better state.
He is WORSE :cry:
He still has mites and is so fat he can hardly move :cry:
I have already reported this to the RSPCA.
I have written to the store manager on two occassions.

WHAT CAN I DO NOW!!
When I highlighted Rex's obesity to staff just now they told me he has been to the Vet who apparently said there was 'nothing wrong with him' :shock: :? :x
They went on to say that he is fed on 'diet food' :roll: (he had a HUGE BOWLFUL of Excel Light Pellets/Ready Grass and a Carrot...... :roll: :roll:
They also said he 'sometimes goes out in his run' ( sometimes= once or twice a week. :roll: :roll: :cry: Run is a 4ft square one :x :x )

Rex has endured this for SIX YEARS :cry: :cry:
Oh and I was also told that 'there is nothing more that can be done to address his weight problem cos he is OLD' :shock: :shock:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :evil: :evil:

I am about to do yet another letter and will copy it to Head Office.
Do you think a hand written one will be OK as my printer is defunct :?

Janex

Poor Chap :( :( I think a handwritten letter will be fine Jane... I think maybe a sharp left hook would be better though!

Tell them Jane that we intend to protest peacefully outside their garden centre next weekend in our chairs with a few placards.

Get loads of your friends to write letters too. The more people that tell them the more they'll listen, maybe :?

Jane

Is this a garden centre near me by the lights and the fire station? I haven't been in their for ages.

If it is, have a word with Donna, she knows a few inspectors who cover our area.

Janice

jrn1310 said:
Jane

Is this a garden centre near me by the lights and the fire station? I haven't been in their for ages.

If it is, have a word with Donna, she knows a few inspectors who cover our area.

Janice

Yes, thats the one Janice. I have offered a retirement home to Rex on numerous occassions. He really looks terrible now :cry:
I was actually in the shop when he arrived OVER SIX YEARS AGO!!

Today there was one baby fluffball bun, one REW, one broken Caster Rex and one grey+white mixed breed.
All in small hutches which 'nice' green water bottles attached.. :x :(

I have enlisted a couple ofpeople to write to the store manager today in the hope that even if they ignore my letter AGAIN (I am probably seen as the eccentric old rabbit woman :roll: ) they might take notice of a letter from 'normal' people.....

Janex

Is the rex for sale or is it a 'store pet' you should ask which vet told them this as it will leave them speachless as they are blatantly lying.

I don't think there is much more you can do hun :( You've offered to take it, you've asked the right questions and you've written letters. Could you not put the head offices email etc on here and we could all email them? Sometimes just sheer numbers of complaints can make a difference.

raven_guest said:
Is the rex for sale or is it a 'store pet' you should ask which vet told them this as it will leave them speachless as they are blatantly lying.

I don't think there is much more you can do hun :( You've offered to take it, you've asked the right questions and you've written letters. Could you not put the head offices email etc on here and we could all email them? Sometimes just sheer numbers of complaints can make a difference.

Dont think I can actually name the store on the Forum :?
Might be OK to do it via PMs though :?

Rex is the shop Rabbit, poor boy :(

Janex

What do they actually say when you offer to take him?
Do they genuinelly want to keep him do you think, or are they just being stubborn to prove a point?

Is it worth sending a friend in to say she have fallen in love with him and would they consider selling him for a small amount as he is old? She could be very gushy about how much she loves rexes etc and she just adores him more and more each time she visits...

Does the garden centre have a head office? Do they own any other businnesses other than this one?

Steal him! You must hava some black clothes right? Or how about speaking to the manager about getting him a better run? Suggest they do a fund raiser mabye. Or maybe do a little campaign and stand outside the garden centre handing out animal welfare leaflets and disturb the customers so the garden centre has to sort itself out.

Just basically be obnoxious if the letters aren't working.

Have Environmental Health Dept been notified of the mites, obeseness, small hutches & green bottles?
If so, Have they actually done anything???
I would keep hassling THEM as it is their responsibility to ensure that licence holders are adhering to regulations!

If you are allowed to pm us that would be great :)

mandy said:
Do they genuinelly want to keep him do you think, or are they just being stubborn to prove a point?

Is it worth sending a friend in to say she have fallen in love with him and would they consider selling him for a small amount as he is old? She could be very gushy about how much she loves rexes etc and she just adores him more and more each time she visits...

Does the garden centre have a head office? Do they own any other businnesses other than this one?

yep yep, thats what i'd do, i cant do it, i cant see them there, and if i leave them it just gets to me more. i would have to buy out all the pets, but then theyd just get more :(

whiskyscruffles said:
mandy said:

yep yep, thats what i'd do, i cant do it, i cant see them there, and if i leave them it just gets to me more. i would have to buy out all the pets, but then theyd just get more :(

Yes I see what you mean and I'd never buy an animal from a pet shop for this reason but Jane has already offered to take him anyway so again, they'd be a space for another- I was just kind of suggesting that perhaps they are being stubborn about Jane taking him in particular because they are trying to prove a point.

I have sent the store Manager another letter setting out my concerns re Rex's health and welfare. I have again offered Rex a retirement home but have said that if they really believe Rex is better off staying with them ( :roll: ) I would offer advice as to how his life could be improved (provision of a LARGE run to be used EVERY day for a start!!)) Also dietary advice (ie not feeding the amount of pellets mine get in a WEEK every day :roll: )
I have said a local Vet will provide a reference for me should that be necessary.
My friend posted her letter off today too so I guess we have to wait and see what response we get........

Janex

If all else fails there is always the desperate option of an anonymous tip off to the local press.....providing they are bothered with animal welfare.....

Yes - get the press! Phone your local free newspaper and ask them if they would be interested in writing a story about him. Tell the shop they are going to visit and write it even if they aren't! If you can take some digital pictures of the poor bunny and send me the details I will write the story for you , send you a copy and then submit it to your paper - and I will phone them with my "freelance" hat on and ask them for their comments!

Spacegirl said:
Yes - get the press! Phone your local free newspaper and ask them if they would be interested in writing a story about him. Tell the shop they are going to visit and write it even if they aren't! If you can take some digital pictures of the poor bunny and send me the details I will write the story for you , send you a copy and then submit it to your paper - and I will phone them with my "freelance" hat on and ask them for their comments!

I will give them til Friday to reply to my letter.If they dont bother I'll be in there with my camera on Saturday :p :p

I actually dread going in there now as I am affraid the next time I do I will find that Rex has passed to The Bridge never knowing a better life.... :cry:

Janex

Back