• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fizzgig is sneezing/coughing?

xSarahx

Warren Scout
For most of last night & today Fizzgig has been making a pretend nest out of hay. Don't worry, she can not be pregnant!
The thing is, she has been doing the odd sneeze & something that sounds like a cross between a sneeze, a cough, & a hiccup. She's only been doing once every so often.
I figure it's because of the dust from the hay, as she's sneezed before when she's been moving it around. But this cough/sneeze/hiccup is something new.

She is fine in every other way, but I just wanted to make sure.

Any advice would be gratefully received!
x

Clio has started doing that too when she's near certain hays or dusty things... think it's fine :D

Although she is probably fine I would keep a close eye on her as she may have the early symptoms of a respiratory tract infection. I once had an entire Doe who would nest build if she was feeling a bit poorly although not showing symptoms. Physiological stress (ie feeling a bit poorly) can make Buns behave in strange was that dont give obvious signs as to whats wrong.

I would change the bedding you use for her. Hay should not be so dusty that it makes a Bun sneeze.

Janex

Thank you Emma, thank you Jane!

I will keep a close eye on her.
She's out in the garden at the mo with her husbun, terrorising the plants! :)

Back