• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gutstasis worry - please help me!

johannapage

Warren Scout
Hi guys,
Rosie is noT a well Bunny, she had her VHD or Myxi jab yesterday cant remember which one but since then she has gone from being loopy and happy to quiet and miserable. she is eating a little but not drinking, I took her to the vet this mornign who said her gut isnt moving as fast as she would like and her temp is high.

I have been syringing her baby food - organic veg melody! which she is loving and she seems to be eating her hay and pellets ok, just not as enthusiastically as usual.

wha can i do to get her to drink, she is getting distressed if i syringe her but im so scared of loosing her in the same week as noodle!!

PLEASE HELP ME!

she had three injections, two to get her gut moving faster and one to get her temp dpwn.

im so scared please help me

he vet suggested putting her favs - carrot and brocolli in with a bowl of water so when she ate that she would take water as well, this wrked a little bit...

If she's still eating that's a very good sign. And the vet will have given her something to get her tummy moving. Is she pooing normally.
If you are feeding her baby food, she's probably getting enough moisture already. Does she have a bottle or a bowl? It may be worth giving her a bowl for today - all of mine prefer them. Apparently if you put a drop of apple juice in the water, it makes them drink more as they like the sweet taste.

I bought some carrot drink for P@H, you dilute it in water, shall i try that in a bowl or just water?

thanks for everyones help so far

Knowing she is eating pellets and hays, that is a vey good thing, it shows her diet is good. You have to force feed her with water, just use a small syringe like a 3 cc size, about 0.5 cm in diameter. And slowly insert 0.5 cc in her month, put the syringe past the half way point of her month (mid point of her tongue), so the water won't leak out. Just slowly push 0.5 cc in her month, until the 3 cc is done.

Estimate how much water she drinks a day, divide that equally into the no. of time you need to forcefeed her w/ the syringe.

Make sure the water goes in slowly, as too fast will cause the water to go to her lungs, which may cause infection if the water has some sort of bacteria.

P.S. This is an health care urgent matter, you should have this in the Rabbit Care Section. More people run that section for urgent matter. This sub-forum is for chatting about rabbit, mean for nothing important.

Back