• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can newly bonded rabbits move into old hutch

kayjay

Warren Veteran
My bunny Pippa is getting spayed soon, after which she'll hopefully get a boyfriend. At the moment she's inside and I'm intending they will both live in a shed.

However, her stamping and territorial behaviour is getting so bad now that we can't go in 'her' room (our living room!) without getting a right earful. Interestingly she's not so bad with me, but awful with my OH and son. OH is requesting we put her in shed now so we can sleep at night. If we do this, will she be ok moving back in there with new bun? I'm planning on taking her to a rescue and letting an expert find her a match, so they would then come home to the shed.

Hiya

I was reading up on this before Alfred got Emily, and it does seem that as long as you thoroughly disinfect the hutch, then you are fine.

Good luck with getting her a friend.

Jx

Yep I've done it before. The important thing is to make the existing occupant not recognise it as their territory. So clean and disinfect everything with something really stinky to help get rid of the rabbits' smell (obviously make sure the smell has gone before putting the buns back in there) and move absolutely everything around that you can (and add some extra things like a couple of cardboard boxes), so that the bun doesn't immediately think 'oh yeah I'm back home'. Hopefully if they are well bonded when they come back to you, that should be fine.

I kept H&H in the bathroom for 3 or 4 days to give them a chance to forget it was just their space, and before I put them in i thoproughly hosed, soaped, rinsed, and disinfected it (make sure whatever u use is animal friendly tho :) )

Back