• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Post - Need opinions please.

D

Damo122

Hi all,

Last night Malcolm bucked as I tried to pick him up resulting in a botched lift following which I had to pick him up again and put him back in his cage as his un bonded partner had got out and was roaming around.

Immediately after I put him back he appeared very shocked and sat in the corner of his cage shaking which caused me to worry in case I had injured him. I gave him a couple of his favorite pineapple drops and even a raspberry as a peace offering but he wouldn't touch them.

This morning I found him sitting huddled in the same corner, his eyes appeared sunken and he was just staring blankly. Ok so you can guess that now I'm really worried.

I gave him his pellets (which normally he would be running round my feet for) but he didn't show any interest so then I tried to tempt him with parsley (favorite treat) but again nothing.

Then shortly afterwards I found a few droppings and noticed that he had peed which is very unusual as his litter tray is in the lower level of the cage and he normally uses that without fail.

By now of course I'd convinced myself that I'd broken his leg or injured his back while trying to pick him up so I rang my local vet and took him in to be seen.

She asked me to put him on the floor and he hopped around a bit following which she checked his legs - pelvis and back all of which she said were fine. She decided that he hadn't broken anything but might be bruised or have strained a muscle. She gave him some painkiller and suggested that I just let him rest for a bit.

That was at about 12:00. Since coming home he has remained huddled in his litter tray. I did get him to eat a couple of carrot tops and a raspberry but with little enthusiasm and having eaten nothing since - hay or pellets.

Of course now I'm worried that he's going into stasis and just wondered whether people think I should kick of the treatments?

Sorry for the long post.

Kind regards,

Damien

Hi Damien,

If he is not eating, withdrawn and not pooing. It would do no harm in treating him for gut stasis, better to do that than not, better caught early than leaving things until things have kicked in for a while.

Have you a stethascope to listen to his stomach with?

Janice

Hi Janice,

Yes I do - I'll have a listen. Wish Christabell was here :)

I have just been to the vets, Johnathan was there who did a full check of the rabbit I took including back teeth check using an otoscope for a bun needing a myxie vaccination.

Ok well I decided to go for it. 2 drops of Metacam + 2mls of Maxalon and 1 ml of infacol.

Oh and fingers firmly crossed.

Damien

I would keep him indoor immediately. Bunny that are sick needs the heat to fight the bacteria anyway. Give him a room and if he picks a corner and pee, clean that spot, and put a towel on that corner afterwards, that way, you just have to dump the towel to the washing machine afterwards.

Sorry to hear that Malcom is poorly and hope that things are improving
25.gif

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed update we've just been really busy / stressed trying to keep Malcolm going.

We've kept on giving with two drops of Metacam in the morning and 1 ml of Maxalon twice a day in addition to which I've been giving him 10 to 20mls of critical care every hour or two as well as trying to inject 10mls of saline. I'm knackered!

There have been no poos since Thursday night now and he spent most of yesterday just sitting quietly in his litter tray but having said that he hasn't got markedly worse, and still had enough energy last night to push my had away forcefully when I tried to feed him.

We did manage to get him to eat some carrot tops yesterday and when I left him last night he was grooming and eating parsley.

No poos this morning and it he doesn't appear to have eaten any hay / pellets or drunk, however he is still quite bright and has taken some more parsley from me so haven't had to syringe feed him.

I'm going to give hime his infacol + meds in a minute and will try to get some fluid in him. Sainsbury open at ten so I'm going to head there and grab some more carrots tops to.

I spoke to the emergency vet yesterday evening who said that I should just carry on with what I'm doing as it can take up to four days to clear a stasis but If he's not better by tomorrow i'm going to take him in.

Damien

Oh dear, I hope Malcolm perks up soon!

Currently going through the exact same with my bunny Lily so I'll send happy poo and eating thoughts your way as well as Lils.

Gosh! Well Malcolm is obviously in very good hands. I hope he does some poos soon and starts feeling better.

Good news - Malcolm pulled through. He gave us a fright there for a day or two though.

Thanks for all the good vibes.

Damien

Back