• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help plz.... Is this the right thing to do?

eminem2004

Young Bun
Im getting mixed signals from web sites etc about rabbit introductioons and if im making the right choice?

I have Lunar a neautared Male 1 and am picking up a 10 week old female doe.

Now how and when do i go abouts introductions, and also im confused coz some sites say its ok to do intros if one is unneutared (shes 2 young now to be neautared but will be when old enough etc) and some say not 2...also what if i do bond them and then when she is "sexually mature" and they fall out, or will they be ok, will i ahve to seperate...im so confused...i cant sleep im so worried i will do or i am doing the wrong thing. Please someone help me....i know this sounds pathetic but im almost in tears :cry: :cry: Help

I hope u all understand what im saying....

Jenny

Hi Jenny..you can bond buns when one is not neutered but it is true that when that bun reaches maturity and hormones kick in there could be fighting.....also if your male is a bit over friendly :oops: ..you will have to seperate them while she recovers from her spey and then re introduce them..which is why most people say get them neutered first. Can you keep them seperate until she is speyed...vets vary on when they will do this but mine does them quite young as he feels they recover better...?
Have you already agreed to having this bun or can you change for one that is already done?t

i agreeed to take Darktan (from the portsmouth ready now litter on the rabbits in need page)...i dont like to go back on my word...and i was looking 4ward 2 meeting her / bringing her home also :oops: just now im panicing :oops:

I tried the rspca ...but im not a fan of the rspca after a few bad dealings with a few of my pets from their which i dont wanna get in to and no luck atm, but its difficult as i have to travel by bus :S

How old do does have to be before neutaring? my bunnies now are rescues so were already neutared ...its been a while simce i have been to the vets 2 get a bunny neutared....

I can keep them seperate but not long term... :S

oh im so confused....dose this shed any light.....

worry over, i think i panic 2 much. i will take things as they come.Space wise, once esme n harvey have their shed built their will be more free range room each and my step dad can build a "barrier". I will let them free range in the mean time in my room about 4 hours each or so... :) for the next 2 weeks or so till the shed is up :)

as for bonding, i will see hoe confident she is 1st etc and take it from their...i will not let this worry me anymore....,am i need some sleep...been up since 5am (yesterday) :S

Night all and thanks...i think i was just overtiered and nervouse about the event...

thanks all
.... i feel like such a baby and a winge :oops: :oops: sorry... :oops:
Jenny

It's probably 2-3 months until you can neuter her. Everything depends on the individual bunnies re-bonding. I think you're right just to see how she is and how he reacts and take it from there.

It's unlikely that a neutered male/female with fall out like a male/male pair will. You may find she gets quite grumpy as she comes up to neutering age though.

It's mainly the fact you may need to seperate them when she's neutered and the rebond them that puts people off doing it whilst they're young.

Good luck!

Tam

Also, the most important factor of spaying a doe, she will be much less likely to get uterine cancer.
It can be a big problem with getting the right sources for bonding, and you obviously want to do your best by your buns which is fantastic.

Ah so you're having Darktan?!..I can see why you don't want to change your mind ..she's a sweetie! :D
The barrier idea is great a then the introduction can go slowly..in the mean time why not find out when your vet will spey and how much the charge? good luck !

yep thats me... :p

I will call them soon and find out thanks :)

I am picking her up soon...well as soon as my step dad choses 2 get out of bed and give me a lift...still i shouldnt grumble...it beats traveling on 2 buses each way :p lol

Im so excited....i will seperate as you say when she is neutared and like u say if she seems grumpy nearer "the time" then i will seperate if needed and re intro after she has hesled from her spay.

Wish me luck.

I warn u i may be asking intro questions soon all in a pickle...so bear with me plz :oops: :oops:

Jenny

ARC is a small animal rescue which took in excess of 200 rabits last year and are heading for a figure of over 300 this year. ARC for the past 2 years always if they have a pair of rabbits who need to go to the vets for something, always take them both together. Even when we have a unneutered female with a neutered male we always take them together to the vets, they are recovered from their anaesthetic and put immediatly back in with the male as soon as they start to become steady on their feet. The vets monitor them together and only remove the male if there is a problem, they then come home to their foster homes to remain together overnight indoors before being returned to their hutch as soon as the female is eating and pooing properly.

For the past 2 years we have done this, and have observed that the females will recover a lot quicker than if they were separated. Their digestive systems return to normal quicker this way and they will interact and move about more than if separated. The key issue to this is that it is essential to observe what is going on, obviously if the male is pestering the female, he will be moved back to the hutch by himself and then repaired up at a later date ... this is very rare.

ARC is very fortunate in that they have a very bunny experienced vet who understands the importance of getting any animal to recover quickly and understands the importance of observing a paired up rabit for problems whilst they are in the surgery. It is also imperative that internal stritches and glue are used for closure of the wound to ensure that any grooming undertaken by a partner does not result in the opening up of a surgical inscision.

Obviously every case is different and you will need to assess your rabbits to see what is appropriate for them, you may also need to discuss this with your vet as some vets do not see that it is necessary to take both parties of a bonded pair to the vet together.

Janice

I've just bonded a baby doe and my 10 month old neutered male. I got varying advice too but i went ahead as the breeder I got her from said she's never known fights to break out between them, and I figured if I get her neutered as soon as it's viable it should be ok. :)

thanks for all the advise.

She came homw ith me at about midday 2day and she is so small bless her but she is condident and brave so all is good..she has fited in at home straight away. She loves sniffing Lunar and watching him through the wire as dose he...he jumps up on his boxes and watches her when she is in the top hutch n everything so im optimistic i will go ahead n try soon...but i will keep a close eye and just do what my instincts tell me!

I would like to thank you so much for all the info!

Thanks

Jenny x and 4 happy bunnys :D he he

Noone here has thought tp mention that its not a good idea to put a baby rabbit in with an adult :shock: . This can lead to fights as the male even though done will still try to mount the baby and may hurt herand will be frightening. Plus in my experience its hard for a rabbit to tell the sex of a baby rabbit and this may lead your boy to think it might be another male and fight. I would not try them together till the girl is a bit older keep them seperate. val

Then again i've seen here and other palces say that a baby and adult might bond better than two adults. My neutered male hasn't tried to mount my little girl...

oh god now im confused and ont knwo what to do ..... :cry:

aghhh im so confused :( :S

I guess i will just have to wait n see then i guess....

Jenny

i think you just need to see how your two get on as every rabbit responds differently. keep a close eye on them. i've "mostly" found that neutered males don't pester a girl (although maple whose a girl often pesters herbie, my poor old soft boy :roll: ) but then maybe i've been lucky and i would never assume they would just be ok and always supervise until your confident they will be ok - good luck! :D

Back