• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hulstlanders! ( Piccies added to Photo section)

Lind80

Mama Doe
Does anyone know anything about this breed?

I had a phone call at the surgery tonight asking if I could take one for rehoming. She told me that he is quite big, but I had thought these were small buns :? I suppose I will find out soon as he is being dropped off at the surgery on Saturday :roll:

I thought they were only average sized - white with blue eyes. But then people get sold alsorts of interesting breeds that actually have no resemblence to the rabbit when you see them. Until you've seen it with your own eyes be prepared for anything :lol:

Totally agree Tams - the '12 week old nethie' I took in from ebay is 1.3kg :lol: :lol: Never seen a baby nethie bigger than my 3 year old ones before!

According to the BRC breed standard: http://www.thebrc.org/hulstlander.htm a hustlander weighs between 2 and 2.75kg so only about the size of a dwarf lop.

They're apparently very very sweet but adventurous! I know a lady who breeds them, she promised never to own them as they didn't appeal to her, until someone gave her one and she's now smitten with them! They do see (on average) very sweet natured and well behaved.

OMG :shock:
Really :) i would be very intrested in this bun if it comes up for rehoming :)
I had a hulstlander i got him at 10 months so he was fully grown sadly i only had him for 2 months as he caught myxi :cry:
They are the most sweet natured buns,but very funny they love attention and love large spaces to run in,the most funnist thing they do is stand up on there hind legs and then fall backwards :lol:
I was thinking the other day id love another but they never come in in rescues
William was about the size of a dwarf lop bunny
DSCF0620.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0626.jpg

You can see on the last pic how blue his eyes were
Im crying now :cry:

Oooh I love them. There was a breeder selling them on freeads the other day... though knowing the quality of freeads she was probably actually selling white dogs or something :roll: .

Inimical Me said:
Oooh I love them. There was a breeder selling them on freeads the other day... though knowing the quality of freeads she was probably actually selling white dogs or something :roll: .
No they were hulstlanders,that was the breeder william was orgainaly from

Not promoting breeders but here is a lady in basingstoke who is trying to home a couple.She says she is cutting back due to illness.

bluebunny said:
Inimical Me said:

Ahh I see :lol: . Well you never know what you're getting with freeads, lol.

Aren't Hulstlanders really rare?

Inimical Me said:
bluebunny said:
Inimical Me said:

Ahh I see :lol: . Well you never know what you're getting with freeads, lol.

Aren't Hustlanders really rare?
Yes they are classed as a rare breed

They're only a rare breed mainly because they're not that 'exciting or commercial' if that makes any sense? Most breeds become popular by breeders because they think they're easy to breed or that thye will possible make money out of it (90% of breeders make a huge loss breeding rabbits) such as everyone suddenly becoming interested in giants due to them being in the newspapers etc.
I think if more people knew about them, they'd be a lot more popular, they're sweet, a good size and very entertaining.

Thanks guys.

She did say he was white with blue eyes but thats about it. :roll:

If he comes to the surgery tomorrow I will let you know, I think he probably will, she is travelling quite a way to drop him off as nobody else has any room to take him. I was actually contacted by a rescue to see if I could take him as they had no room.

I will see what condition he is in when he gets here, and probably have him neutered and then he will be available. Marie, if you want him I'm sure we can arrange to get him to you :wink: I think she said he was about 7 months old.

Sorry; but they are classed as a Rare Breed as they don't have their own breed club and are "under care" so to speak by the Rare Varieties Rabbit Club.

:oops:

Back