• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch rpotection.

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi all
I got a hutch built and im needing some sort of wood treatment as it has started letting water in.
I dont think the wood has been treated before so can anyone give me some names....ie cuprinol that are bunny safe to treat it with!
Also should I treat all of the inside of the hutch too???
Have noticed my little madam has been tipping the litter tray and peeing in the corner.
TIA

Thanks!
Leesa.....Peppa and George!

You can treat the outside of the hutch with wood preservative
or paint to make it waterproof but do not paint or treat the wood on the inside – your rabbit will probably chew this and some chemicals can be harmful if eaten.

I've just di mine last week, i phoned up the Happy Hutch Company cuz I got my hutch from then and asked what i could use, and they said as lond as it's water based it's ok. I used Cuprinol Garden Shades as it was the only water based 1 I could find in focus (some of the other cuprinol 1s aren't water based, so be careful). The man in Focus said some may not say that they are water based, but may be so to look at the way it says on the can to wash the brushes - if it says to wash with water it's water based, but if it mentions white spirit or anything then it's not. i think I was approx £10 for the small can of Cuprinol G S and I used about 2 thirds of it doing hutch inside and out and the wood frame of run as well.

It really does make a difference - they won't use a litter tray either, and I could tell their pee was starting to soak in through litter and shavings and it's not doing that anymore :D

i treat the inside with water based stuff too. it protects the wood a bit against the wee and stuff that soaks in, and is no worse for the bun than eating plain wood.

Back