• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

You will not BELIEVE the day I've had

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
I don't know whether to laugh or cry :shock: :shock:

Well first of all I was having a really bad day at work, I didn't sleep well last night and people were rubbing me up the wrong way all day. So I booked tomorrow and Friday off on leave and set off for home as usual, smug in the fact that I could have a nice restful evening and couple of days.

I get home from work and as usual, go straight to the garden to see the buns, at which point I notice Heather, hunched and eyes scrunched up, sitting in the corner. Rattle the dinner tin, no response. Out comes the phone - no appointments left at the vets but hard luck, I'm coming anyway! Crawl into the run in work clothes, only for Heather to hop through the cat flap and into the shed. Crawl back out again and go round the other side, only for her to have already popped back outside. Repeat ad infinitum until I manage to block up the hole and catch her. No time to catch Harry as well so off we go.

Get to the vets at 5.45pm, I've never seen the place so manic! Sit around in a busy waiting room with someone with a huge stinky dog that doesn't stop barking. Which in itself really winds me up because I think if it was me, I'd take the dog outside so (a) it's less likely to bark and (b) even if it does, it doesn't upset all the other animals. So I'm looking around trying to avoid making eye contact in case I have an outburst of rage. At which point I look down at myself and realise that I am in my 'Next' work suit (black pinstripe) which is now covered in mud, grass stains and rabbit fur, and accompanied by bright blue flip flops, which are my garden shoes :lol:

Anyway, vet does the usual, and we set off for home. Get home to discover other car gone - that's ok, my hubby often goes to visit his dad around this time. But then I notice that the front door is wide open :shock: Rush in, hoping that it's just that my hubby has gone out and not shut it properly, and not that someone has sneaked in, nicked the car keys and driven off. Fortunately, my hubby wasn't home so panic over.

Brain is jelly by this point. Put buns out in shed, Heather just sits there looking sorry for herself. Decide it would be better if I bring them indoors for a while. Set up dog crate, bring bunnies indoors. Breathe sigh of relief that my work for the evening is done. Glance out back door to discover that in my haste, I hadn't shut Harry & Heathers shed door and Dudley and Santa were in there pooping all over the floor.

Spend several minutes repeating the in through the cat flap to the run-back into the shed procedure with smaller, wigglier rabbits, before ejecting them from the aforementioned run and back into their own. Give Santa her porridge with Septrin sauce phase 1.

Go back into house and peer out front door to spot a police car pull up and two burly policeman head towards front door. Immediate panic as first thought is that my hubby has been in a car accident. Massive sigh of relief when they just said "your neighbour rang us to say that your front door was wide open". Clarify that nothing appears to have been pinched, wave them goodbye.

Heather decides that she feels better and wants to run up and down the stairs. She has a munch on some food so I'm relieved about that, now just on poop-watch waiting for it to appear!

Collapse on sofa. Am about to go to Sainsburys to buy some dinner AND A BOTTLE OF WINE!

It doesn't usually happen to me, but it did today :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

For heaven's sake...what a time you have had :roll: Now that it is all over I hope you can laugh :lol: Hope your work suit will be OK and can you pour a glass of wine for me please :wink:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nomad sends calming vibes to MEGA STRESSED Auntie Alison :D
So glad Heather is feeling better
I'd make that TWO bottles of wine if I were you!!

Janex

Little tinker! It just goes to show how important it is to get a sick bun to the vets though, and how quickly they can start to perk up with some metaclopromide and painkillers!

Off to Sainsburys now, next time you see me, I shall probably be terribly sloshed :lol: :lol: Big kisses back to Nomad too xxx

AlisonA said:
Little tinker! It just goes to show how important it is to get a sick bun to the vets though, and how quickly they can start to perk up with some metaclopromide and painkillers!

Off to Sainsburys now, next time you see me, I shall probably be terribly sloshed :lol: :lol: Big kisses back to Nomad too xxx

Kissy Kissy Auntie A!!

Love Nomad
xxxxxxxxx

Oh I forgot one other thing :lol: :lol: But it's a good thing...

In the midst of all this, my phone rings, and it's someone interested in offering Chloe a home :D They live locally and have a neutered male bun, and they saw my ad in the vets. They go on holiday on the 16th Aug which is the date she's booked in to be neutered so as long as they like her (as if they won't!) and they pass the homecheck, she will hopefully be off there at the end of the month :D

Still haven't had any wine - figured I'd better restrain until I see some poo, in case I need to take madam to the emergency vet.

AlisonA said:
Still haven't had any wine - figured I'd better restrain until I see some poo, in case I need to take madam to the emergency vet.

I presume you mean poo from Heather?! :wink: :shock: Hope she's feeling better soon so you can have a nice big glass of wine, sounds like you need it! :D

Oh my word Alison. You weren't kidding! :shock:

Glad poor Heather is feeling better, I think we've all had that "drop everything and get to the vet" stress, without all the other stuff on top. :shock:

Mind you, at least the police actually turned up for once ;)

Enjoy your two days off <goes green>

OMG Alison :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, I hope you enjoy your wine and hope bunsters behave tomorrow! :shock:

:shock: :shock: Oh my word! what a nightmare!. I'm glad heather is feeling better and the rest of the buns are OK. I also hope you will be feeling less frazzled after a few glasses of wine. xxx

Wow, what an eventful day! :shock: :shock: Glad Heather and the other buns are ok. You definitely deserve that wine :lol: And now you have a few days to just relax ;)

What a nightmare - poor you. Sounds like me about 2 weeks ago. But the question is, did you start swearing like a trouper like I do when I am in bunny stress?

Whoah! Busy Alison!!! Hope you're having a less stressful day today. I take it was your hubby took the car?

Hugs

Shiv

Back