• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet bottom.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
I've noticed a few times recently that when I've checked Gismo's bottom that the fur around there and his back legs has been wet with wee. He's only a short guy so I wondered if he just can't get his bottom up very high. Also I recently put down some vinyl tiles in their main living area and stopped putting down wood shavings because he had slightly sore hocks and I thought it might of been irritating him but maybe then he wees there and ends up soaking it up?? Is there anything I should be worried about? He seems fine in himself in all other ways.

Hiya :) I would suggest you pop Gismo along to your vets for a check up, as sometimes bunnies keep being wet around their rear end when they have a bladder infection or an infection called EC. This can be treated with some antibiotics and or Panacur if that is the case :wink:
It is important that you keep Gismos skin dry as he will get sore, and also be at more risk of getting fly strike, as flies lay eggs on damp skin.
We have two bunnies here who have slow kidney breakdown, so we cannot do much to help except rub them with a baby wipe twice a day to remove the urine, and then dry them with a hairdryer on a cool setting.
if you do this daily, it will prevent the skin getting sore.
Also, rub some vaseline down Gismos legs to prevent nappy rash from the acid in the urine.
As you say, it could just be Gismo does not have the best aim toilet wise :oops: :lol: but just to be on the safe side, I would take him to a vet for a check up.
Best wishes

Wasn't Gismo from the same place as Nomad?
Nomad tested positive for contact with EC.
Was Gismo treated with Panacur?
I'd consult with your Vet as if he already has sore hocks slight incontinence means he is at high risk of infection.

Janex

Yes he was Jane. In fact I just spoke to him this week about it. I asked him if he thought Gismo should have a course of panacur "just in case" but he thought the risk was small enough not to worry. Anyway, I will phone the vets tommorrow.

Back