• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ordering hay from the internet- how long does it last...

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been paid so thought I'd order my fosters some tasty hay and was just wondering how long 1kg lasts yours?

I can't really picture how big a bag that is :oops:

thanks x

Depends on how much of it you feed! Mine get a good handful of tasty expensive hays every day as well as unlimited meadow hay. It's hard to say how long it will last as I have about half a dozen different ones and grab a bit of each. Maybe a few weeks if you're giving a handful a day? A kilo is about the size of an average pet shop bag of hay but it's much more tightly packed.

A kilo bag of Oxbow lasts me 10 days to 2 weeks, just for Evo. This is in addition to meadow hay as bedding. In Evo's case though, hay is pretty much his main food, as he can't eat veg.

Here is a pic of Evo next to a 1.1kg bag of Oxbow, and a just under 1kg bag from the Hay Experts to give you an idea of size. You can click on the pics to view a bigger version.

Back