• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know if a rabbit is purring?

mtoyah

Warren Scout
I was holding Smudge last night and she was making a noise as I stroked her that sounded like her teeth were chattering very lightly. She wasn't stressed, she seemed quite relaxed!

Homer also sounds like his teeth are clicking. If i rub his cheeks I can feel his jaw vibrating underneath too.

Mine have never done it, but I have heard them grinding them in pain, it definately doesn't sound like purring so I'd say your bun was happy.

They're definately not in pain as the vet checked their teeth etc a couple weeks ago....they seem quite content.....

I can feel it through Faline's head cos she's got a little bony head and it vibrates my hand. it like a little rubbing sound I think. Molly's I can hear if I'm very close to him but he doesn't do it as much, I can sort of see his mouth move a tad I think.

Its called bruxing, when they are happy they grind their teeth together (hence you can feel the vibrations when they are doing it). rats do it too. Purring is something only cats can do, and even scientist found it quite hard to work out how they produce the unique sound. :D

Back