• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies

Living near each other for a bit, swapping cages so they get used to each other's smell, neutral territory, a distraction (food - I use other bunnies, but not always a good idea - mine are used to other rabbits), places they can run & hide to (I use quite a large place to bond BUT, I know some people use a smaller space so buns HAVE to be near each other), a car journey.

Mostly when I've bonded, there's been a couple of brief introductions, then I 've just left them together (obviously wouldn't if I saw blood!)

thanks for the info, there was a bit of flying fur today, and alot of humping and chasing, other than that it was ok

also, is it usual for the rabbits to grunt and pin each other down? Well Holly is pining Flopsy down and holding her fur, when Flopsy runs off, Holly rips Flopsy's fur out by accident, there are no wounds on either of the bunnies though.

cavysrock said:
will spaying help? Holly and Flopsy are getting spayed soon so i am hoping it will help. :D

Spaying will probably help. Might be best spaying before introduction really if there's a chance they could get "hormonal" BEFORE they go to the vets.

My 2 bonded sisters Sugar & Spice fought quite badly before they were spayed - I had to remove Sugar from the group cos she attacked everyone. They all got together again a couple of weeks after the ops, & now live in a bonded 7 with 2 other spayed females & 3 neutered males :D The least hormonal they are, the better :D

Mine used to get pinned down. Cracker thought it was a sign of affection. He's start to hump - then get bored & just sit there :lol:

I thought Holly was a boy?

They're jsut trying to establish dominance by pining each other down :)

be careful, petshops are so bad at sexing, especially bunnies, so please ensure they are BOTH females.

Water squirt gun and I found sitting on the floor in a small space with them helped lots as it assured my nervy newbie that I was there to protect her from the big bad boy. I also found whenever they went side by side I put my hand on their heads and stroked them and it seemed to make them a lot more comfortable together.

I'm still in the process of my first bonding though, lol.

Back