• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost one bun :o( What about the other??

Benjiandbarney

Warren Scout
Hi all, advice please!
Feeling a bit better today (apart from red, puffy eyes!!) and i have managed to stop crying!! House isn't the same without Barney , miss him sooo much. We still have 1 rabbit Benji, at the moment we are not thinking of getting another rabbit to replace Barney. In the next couple of yrs we will defiently get a pair of rescue buns. My question is, will it be unfair to keep Benji on his own, is it cruel?? He seems fine, still running around, eating and being completly hyper and we give him lots of love and attention. Thanks
Claire

I am so sorry you lost Barney :(
Although the ideal is to have a bonded pair of Bunnies there are always exceptions. How long is Benji actually on his own? If all your household are out all day most days then really Benji would benefit from a Bunny friend. But if there is always someone around the house most days and Benji is a house bunny then being a singleton is not so much of an issue.
Bunnies are social animals, not designed to live solitary lives. But many families have a single house-bunny who interacts with everyone. If Benji has company most of the time, not just in the evening and at weekends then he will probably be quite happy. But if you are a busy working household I think he would really appreciate a bunny friend.

Janex

Hi Jane, thank you for your message. I just feel sooo guilty that if I had taken Barney to the vets much sooner than we would of been able to save him :( Saying that he did have have a lot of other problems too unfortauntely. Benji is on his during the day which i feel a bit sorry for him, he is in his run but when we get back from work we let him out, he has the whole house to run through and garden. Also weekends we spend all our time with him. Fingers crossed he will be ok, I will see how it goes as he has always been very independent. We go on holiday next month, maybe when we come back we can have a look at getting a rescue bun.

I'm really sorry to hear about Barney :(

I think it is important to get Benji a friend- IMO we cannot give rabbits the kind of companionship they need and they should always have a friend of their own kind....he especially needs one as he had a friend before so is used to rabbit company x

When I lost Beebie in May I didn`t want another rabbit as a companion for Bracken. But he missed her so much and became ill so I had to find him a companion.

Florence is great and they have bonded so well, and at the begining I didn`t have the bond I had with Beebie, but you have to do the best for your remaining rabbit.

I don`t think theirs a right or wrong on this issue, but its good to see Bracken with Florence.

Why not take Benji along to a rescue (prearranged of course!) and see if he wants to choose a new partner or not :D

Wishing you all the best :D

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: last year My elderly bunny, Bilbo, Died leaving behind his young girlfriend, Gypsy. She was very depressed for 6 weeks after Bilbo's death :cry: in time she bonded more closely with and interacted more with me ( I'm at home all the time) and this was lovely. 6 months later I decided the time was right to get her a friend. I am sooooo glad I made this desision as seeing my bunnies together and so loved up is one of the best sights ever :D As much as Gypsy and I loved each other there are some things a 2 foot can't replace. It must be nice for her to be able to understand and communicate with some one of her own kind as well as getting love and attention from me, she gets the best of both worlds :D they both do.
Only you will know when or if the time is right to get a companion for your bunny.

I am so sorry to hear about Barney xxx

When you both feel ready, I think it will be nice to find a new friend for Benji, he will enjoy the company of another bun, as well as you!

Thanks everybody for your comments.
We are going to a rescue centre (Raystede in Sussex - if anybody has been there) at the weekend. Normally they have about 30ish buns but they are normally all in pairs (don't think we can handle 3 buns and dont wanna spilt a pair up!!), if they have 1 bun on his/her own we may think of getting another one :p Just that the house is soooo quiet without Barney.
We shall see, will keep you posted!! x

Back