• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rabbit

nicole

Mama Doe
When getting a new rabbit, do just stick it in it's new home and leave it for a couple of days before handeling it or do you speak to it and pet it straight away?

Just wonderd what you all thought.

I reckon you should give him/her lots of love and hugs from the word go :p Mind you, my rabbits are not the cuddley type even now :lol:

when I first got mine I left them in their cage for a few days so they could establish a favourite toilet area and with any luck not pee on the carpet - this worked to some extent, have only had a couple of carpet wees and I think they were one-offs as were a few days apart and in different places.
Have only had my newest bunny (frankenstein) 2 weeks - he will come to me if I have nice veggies but he doesn't let me touch him yet

The way I think is if you get a new bunny young or old, you should be there with kind and soft words of comfort.
As the bunny is scared anyway, I think it helps with bonding.
If you are there as a friend to reassure your new bunny that everything is ok and no harm will come to it.
I think this helps the bunny to realise that you are friend not foe.

Some people think I'm mad when I tell them this at the shop.

But any way a well known shop has told another of my customers to leave it for a couple of days to settle in. Then to handle it. (felt like saying it's not a fecking toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mine were babies when i got them, but I handled them pretty much straight away, i bought a soft brush for grooming them and used this every day to begin with to get them used to being handled :)

A lot of people say to leave them to settle for a few days... but I would say to interact (I hate the word "handle", it's so... impersonal. Sounds like you should just chuck it about a bit... :roll: ) with the animal as soon as possible without causing undue stress. Nose rubs and gentle words and all that... unless it's a very timid rabbit I doubt it will object to a nose rub!

I think interacting is good. After all, you are a part of their new surroundings, so they need to get used to you as well as the new environment, may as well do it at the same time.

Back