• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE HELP!! BUN WON'T EAT - UPDATE - HE'S O.K.!!

Hi guys,

I'm really worried, one of my buns, Bob won't eat this morning! He was eating fine last night, had a big bowl of cabbage with his sister before bed, but this morning, whereas he is usually eager for his brekkie, he was sat sulking in the corner of his run. I coaxed him up into the hutch, but he didn't touch his pellets. I gave him some cabbage but that hasn't been touched either.

I checked him all over, bottom fine, ears fine, fur fine, he had all of these checked at the vets yesterday aswell...he can run about and seems alert, but when I put him in his hutch he just sits in the corner.

He had his myxi booster yesterday...could this be something to do with it?

I have had to go into work so I cant even check on him!! I have separated him from his sister so I can see if he is eating and pooing when I get in...what else can I do?? :(

Amanda x

To be honest, I would stay off work and get him to the vet as soon as possible - please take a look the post on gastric stasis by Jack's-Jane.

Wendy
xxx

Sorry to hear about your Bun is there anyone who could go to your house and check for you?
If not I think you should go home anyway, never mind what the boss thinks!

can you not sneakly hide him under your chair at work and tell people that you had to bring the carrier cos you needed a foot rest! :wink:

Seriously though.. I really hope he's ok and that you can find some way of checking on him and maybe getting him to the vets

I've rung the vets, and they have said to try baby food in a syringe - still trying to get hold of other half's mum, as she is the only one with a key...if I can't I am going to go home on my lunch break at 1pm. If I get back late to work then it's tough! I'm too worried! Wish I could get there earlier but I can't :(

It could be that he is not happy about being taken to the vets yesterday - I know that my buns usually have a sulk afterwards and don't come near me :lol: :lol:

Mine also sometimes have quiet moments where they don't touch their food etc for a while. It worries the hell out of me, but they perk up again after a few hours.

But obviuosly, if you are really worried the best thing to do is get him to a vets.

Hope all goes well and he is back to his normal self soon. :D

If I were you I'd get a vet's appointment for lunchtime. If he is eating by then and you don't think you need it, that would be great, but I'd book an appointment just in case.

But then I'm not you - I'd go sick, have a tummy upset, get a migraine - ANYTHING not to leave mine on their own with a poorly tum :wink:

Anyway, don't panic, you know he ate his tea last night, so even if he's not eating at luncthime, if you get him to the vet then it's less than 24 hours. But he really is better seen sooner, if possible.

xx

The photographer has a break at 11am, so I going to ask her to cover reception for an hour while I dash home and check on him...my poor baby.....need some positive vibes that he will have scoffed all his breakfast by then :)

If he had lots of cabbage he may have colicky tummy pain from wind.
PLEASE try to get him to a Vet ASAP. In the meantime 2ml Infacol and gentle tummy rubs may help.
As with any poorly Bun time is of the essence for getting them to a Vet.
Sorry it is such a tricky situation for you re work commitments. Hope your Bun soon feels better

Janex

Just come home and he hasn't eaten or pooed! I don't have infacol...oh dear I don't know what to do...my boss is going to kill me if I don't go back to work, but I don't want to leave him...

BobandAbby's mum said:
Just come home and he hasn't eaten or pooed! I don't have infacol...oh dear I don't know what to do...my boss is going to kill me if I don't go back to work, but I don't want to leave him...

I think you HAVE to get your Bun to a Vet NOW.
Tell your Boss a fib if you like, you have devoloped bad D+V or something...ANYTHING !!
Please keep us updated.

Janex

My mum is coming round with some baby food and a syringe as the vet suggested, if he is no better we will take him up the vets, have phoned snd told my boss I will back to work as soon as I can but I need to see if Bob is o.k. :( He has eaten literally 5 pellets of his food but that's it

I know its hard when you have to think of work as well but i think i would end up saying i am ill. I hope your bun is soon better. Please keep us posted.

Sue
xx

BobandAbby's mum said:

I'm sure he'll understand, if not then I'd definitely put my bun first :( :eek:
Maybe suggest you can make up your working hours to your boss.
You poor thing.
I hope he starts to get on the mend ASAP.
Go back to the vets as soon as you can, you don't want this to get worse
:(

Have managed to get some baby food into him and he has eaten a couple of pellets...vets can see him at about 3 so I'm going to get my mum to take him...boss is being very compassionate actually!! will let you know how i get on...

Back