• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nursing Mum with abscess UPDATE -8/8/06

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
One of my free ad girlies (Dusk) has a lump on her side that looks like an abscess (lovely cottage cheese pus). I'm taking her to the vets this aft. My main concern is that her & her sister live with their 6 babies. i'm not completely sure who the mum is, as I've seen both mum's nursing the big black baby!
The babies were 3 weeks old on Thursday, & I moved them yesterday to a bigger hutch/run

The vet nurse said it was my call as to whether I take sis & babies to the vets too. What would you guys suggest? It's a 20 min round trip by car.

Also - my Vet treated Flint's abscess with a pain killer, anti-biotic jab & a week's course of baytril - he did have a stronger anti-biotic after he stopped eating & an op. Is it ok for a nursing mum to be on baytril?
The vet will probably tell me this when I get there, but they usually are quite open to suggestions, if I have some :oops: :?

oh dear Angie . just what you need .

id bung them all in the carrier together if it was me :roll:

dont know about baytril ...sorry

Angie

bunnymadhouse said:
oh dear Angie . just what you need .

id bung them all in the carrier together if it was me :roll:

dont know about baytril ...sorry

Angie

Good job I got that big carrier from you eh? :roll:

Yeah, I think I'd be inclined to bung them all in the carrier and take them all. But I don't know anything!! :lol:

My vet thinks I'm mad when I bring everybun together even though only maybe 2 of them need treatment!!! You should see the looks I get when I say it's for moral support! :oops: :roll: :lol:

Not that I know much about mums & buns but if it was my bun family I think I would be tempted to take them all, hope you've got a BIG carrier :shock: :lol:

Sue&Sooty said:
Not that I know much about mums & buns but if it was my bun family I think I would be tempted to take them all, hope you've got a BIG carrier :shock: :lol:

I got one of those 3ft indoor cages if it comes to it!!!

Angie65 said:
Sue&Sooty said:

:oops: :lol: Thats what I used when I took my lot to my local rescue to get their nails clipped and the sex checked when the babies were 6wks old.

Word of warning though.... it can be a bit tricky trying to negotiate doorways with one of those in your arms! :shock: :lol:

Will the vet come out to you?

Not sure if Baytril can be given to nursing Does but it is not recommened for pregnant Does (according to Bayer-the manufacturers- info leaflet)

Poor Bun, an abscess is just what she doesn't need :(

Janex

Sue&Sooty said:
Angie65 said:
Sue&Sooty said:

:oops: :lol: Thats what I used when I took my lot to my local rescue to get their nails clipped and the sex checked when the babies were 6wks old.

Word of warning though.... it can be a bit tricky trying to negotiate doorways with one of those in your arms! :shock: :lol:

I use those cages for buns that are settling in at my house. They get a little cage for a week or so before they graduate to free range!! I find they're too frightened if you just put them in a room when they've spent their whole life in a hutch.

My boyfriend just seems to fling those cages around!! With or without buns in!!! :shock: :lol: No problems with stairs or doorways!! I can hardly pick one up with a bun in!! :oops: :lol:

Jack's-Jane said:

Not sure if Baytril can be given to nursing Does but it is not recommened for pregnant Does (according to Bayer-the manufacturers- info leaflet)

Janex

I could get vet out yeah - TBH I hadn't thought of that, cos Flint had to have an op to have it removed, so i just assumed she would too.

Will ring now & see if I can arrange a visit instead. If op needed, she can always go in later. Might ring Pet Plan too. :?

Angie65 said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

I could get vet out yeah - TBH I hadn't thought of that, cos Flint had to have an op to have it removed, so i just assumed she would too.

Will ring now & see if I can arrange a visit instead. If op needed, she can always go in later. Might ring Pet Plan too. :?

If she is not already insured PP will NOT cover any pre-existing condition. They also require 30 days(I think) after starting a Policy before an illness claim can be made. Accidents and 3rd party liability are covered straight away.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Angie65 said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

If she is not already insured PP will NOT cover any pre-existing condition. They also require 30 days(I think) after starting a Policy before an illness claim can be made. Accidents and 3rd party liability are covered straight away.

Janex

She's insured - has been but only for 25 days :? I'll ring & find out about the 30 day thing. I have them down as "fosters", so I think I paid extra for immediate cover. (These are the times you regret letting your eyes glaze over when they are explaining it to you :oops: )

Vet is coming out at tea-time :thumb:

It's 14 days Angie before they cover illness. Just got Michelle insured and managed to stay awake during phone cal!! :lol: :wink:

Vet came out last night. Dusk's abscess has been cleaned (salt watered), & drained, & she's had a pain killer jab & an anti-biotic jab. Unfortunately, although that abscess is still clean & open, this morning there's another one next to it. Vet thinks she will need an op to remove the affected bit. He did say she was a bit on the thin side, but the main problem is the kits & Dawn. They will be 4 weeks old on Thursday. Dawn is the other (possible) mum. She is REALLY thin. All buns have been on unlimited hay, pellets & some veg everyday, & I started feeding porridge yesterday (although only black baby bun is that interested!) Vet thinks both girls WERE nursing the kits, but Dawn's milk has dried up? He has suggested removing Dusk on Friday for her op (so kits are 4 week old - 4 of the 6 kits are eating pellets & hay - the smaller two have a nibble, but that's all.) He said I can feed them some kitten milk stuff (I have some) & pellets until they are fully weaned.
He also suggested some of that honey (M**sommat - what is it? Where can i get it?) for Dusk

I have also got to pick up some pain killer & antibiotic for Dusk tonight & am performing my first injection :shock: (I've injected myself, & horses before, so figure will be ok - but any tips appreciated)

I've to ring vet this aft, after he has spoken to more-rabbit-savvy vet in other practice.

Any advice would be great.

OHHH ANGIE WHAT A NIGHTMARE .

DID MEAN TO TXT YOU LAST NIGHT TO SEE HOW SHE WAS BUT FORGOT :oops: :oops: SORRY .

KITS SHOULD BE OK WITHOUT MUMS MILK IF YOU CAN GET SOME KITTEN MILK DOWN THEM . SWEET PEA OUR WILD BUN WAS ABOUT 4 - 5 WEEKS WE THINK AND SHE DID FINE .

POOR POOR BUN . HOPE SHES OK . DID YOU SEE A VET FROM ABBY ? WHO WAS IT ?

ANGIE

You poor thing - what a horrible time you're having :(

Manuka honey was it? I know lots of people use that for abscesses.
I saw it in our local Sainsburys the other day. I know I did cos I was surprised and mentioned it to my husband (I thought you could only get it in health food shops or somewhere like that).

Hang on in there and good luck,
Wendy
xx

It is Manuka honey, and I have seen it at Sainsburys too, but you have to get it with a special level of something so that's is useful for medicinal purposes.....I'll see if I can find it again.

Poor bun, hope she comes through the op ok.

Back