• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Izzy & lulu say Hi

katokym

Warren Scout
I went in to my local petshop on friday for rabbit food and straw and ended up coming out with 2 new female bunnies. They are only 18 weeks olds.
Sorry for the photo overload. :D Im not sure what breads they are. could any one help. :?

this is Izzy
DSCF0091.jpg

This is Lulu
DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

Aw, they're very cute. Probably cross breeds though, did you not ask the petshop owner the breeds?

katokym said:
BUBBLES said:
I agree they are cute, but did u really need to get them from a Pet Shop. :( :( :(

Dont mean to be funny, but what is wrong with getting them from a pet shop.

Hi :D . Lovely new buns you have there, they're cross breeds and could be a mix of anything :) . The white one is gorgeous, judging by the pattern there's probably a bit of English Spot in her breed but they're both crosses I'd say.

The reason a lot of people here have problems with pet shops is because there are thousands and thousands of unwanted rabbits in rescue centres in this country and many of these centres are run by members of this forum at huuuuge expense to themselves. The problem of all the unwanted rabbits in this country is mainly caused by people buying from pet shops who are unable to correctly sex rabbits and will sell customers "2 female rabbits" who turn out to be a male/female pair and then they end up with 8 or ten rabbits, which they also can't sex or provide a home for which will inevitably end up in a rescue centre run by the kind of people on this forum...

That, and most pet shops source their rabbits from really cheap and horrible breeders who don't care about the health and welfare of their rabbits, keep them in appalling conditions, let them go to a pet shop before they should leave their mother and don't research the lineage of the animals they are breeding, which can potentially cause a lot of genetically inherited problems in pet shop bought rabbits that could have been prevented if the breeders had been more careful.

Don't worry... you look like you're new here and I knew none of this info before I joined this forum (I have one rabbit from a pet shop and another from an unwanted litter whose parents came from a pet shop...). Because of the money out of their own pockets a lot of people who run rescues will spend, understandably they don't have a very high opinion of pet shops. That, and while you can get a rabbit from a pet shop for between £10-£30, a rescue centre will give you a neutered and vaccinated rabbit for a donation of £30 or so... (and it costs a lot more than that to have them vacc. and neutered/spayed yourself) so it really is much better to get a rabbit from a rescue centre :).

Sorry if that was a bit long!

Deelove said:
Aw, they're very cute. Probably cross breeds though, did you not ask the petshop owner the breeds?

The Lady at the pet shop was not 100% sure of the breeds. told her about the website and she stated that some one on it might be able to help.

With reference to the post by Inimical Me

First of all the pet shop where i got the 2 babies from is owned by a lady that also rescues rabbits and guinea pigs.

I understand that there are many rescue centres in the country but there are none in my area that has rabbits. There are plenty that have cats & Dogs for rehoming. To be honest it is up to each persons personal choice whether they buy from pet shops or rescue centres.I understand that alot of people on the site are against pet shops for the reasons in your post.

I value the advice of the lady in the pet shop as she has rabbits of her own and knows what she is talking about. I have already got 2 rescue rabbits that she helped me save last year. When the female one had babies she was very helpful. The female was already pregnant when i got her.

In your post you have wrote that most pet shops source their rabbits from really cheap and horrible breeders with no info of the lineage of the rabbits. The lady at this shop can trace back all the rabbits and guinea pigs that she has in the shop and sold.

I dont want to come across as being ungrateful for the help & Advice that has been given to me by this site. But i thought as long as the bunnies have a safe home & are looked after well thats all that mattered.

I have a total of 5 rabbits and 3 Guinea pigs at the moment. None of them are mistreat or live in cramped condition. They all have full run of the back garden as well as a run. the hutches are all over 4ft in length.

your bunnies are cute, i do agree that the safety and love th ebunnies get are number 1 priority but you make it sound like they are lucky to have hutches over 4ft long, sorry but a bunny needs at least a 5ft hutch and on two levels if it is a pair of bunnies.

anyway love your 2 new cuties :love:

BirdieBun said:
your bunnies are cute, i do agree that the safety and love th ebunnies get are number 1 priority but you make it sound like they are lucky to have hutches over 4ft long, sorry but a bunny needs at least a 5ft hutch and on two levels if it is a pair of bunnies.

anyway love your 2 new cuties :love:

Thanks for your reply. I am not saying they are lucky to have hutches 4ft long. The point i was making was that hutches were more that 4ft not smaller. since i have posted the photos nearly every reply have been commenting on the size of the hutch i have the BABIES in.

Back