• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dillon has gut stasis

Judy

New Kit
My 15 month old Dillon has been to the Vet this morning as he was very quiet and not eating since yesterday evening...unlike his normal self totally. The Vet says he has stasis and has given him an injection of metoclopramide and I have 2 more doses to give tonight and tomorrw morning. He also gave me Science Recovery to syringe feed him with and suggested pineapple juice too. I have to take him back tomorrow at 6pm.

I just wondered if there was anything else I could do to encourage his gut to start working again. I would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks for listening.

Judy

Poor Dillon :(

Did the Vet give him some pain relief too?
You can try and gently massage his tummy,this can help stimulate his guts to work. You can also give him a dose of INFACOL (used for babies with colic and availabe at Supermarkets)
I'd give him 2ml Infacol to start with plus his syringe feeds and tummy massage.
Try and tempt him to eat some greens or Dandelion leaves. Allow him to hop about too as actual physical movement gets their guts working.
Hope Dillon soon feels better.

Janex

Try tempting him with his favourite foods, parsley is a good appetiser if you can get him to eat that. Make sure he gets plenty of excercie (even if you have to encourage him to hop about ) as that will help his guts to start moving. I hope he is ok. Xx

He hasn't got any pain relief although I did ask if he needed any...the Vet said he didn't but I am sure he must be very uncomfortable. I will give his tummy a massage then see if we can have a little hop round the garden.

If he has not statred to eat within the next few hours I would call your Vet back and INSIST your Bun has pain relief.
A Bun in GI Stasis usually has tummy ache
Any type of pain causes a physiological response in the Buns body slowing down the guts.Totally unhelpful to a Bun already in GI stasis. Pain also stops a Bun from eating.

In my UNQUALIFIED opinion a Bun in stasis MUST have analgesia.

Hope he shows some improvement soon.

Janex

I spoke to my vet again and Dillon had some liquid paracetamol but his tummy got harder and harder and he suddenly seemed uncomfortable as he began fidgiting. I called the vet straight away and arranged to meet him at the surgery. While I waited outside for him to arrive Dillon had a fit then died just in a couple of minutes. It all happened so quickly, I just hope I did everything I could to give him a chance and that he wasn't in too much pain.

Thanks everyone.

This has all been a bit of a shock.

But I do know he had a great year here with his friend Lottie. They were an ideal pairing and very happy together.

Oh by the way, you couldn't have done anything else - you went to the vets twice after all. Look after yourself.

Thank you.

I just put Dillon's partner Lottie into their cage and she looks a bit confused. She did love him and he put up with all her fiesty nonsense very patiently.

So sorry to hear about Dillon :cry: Please don't blame yourself, you did absolutely the right thing by getting him to the vets even on a Sunday. Sadly they can go downhill very quickly once they get GI stasis. Binky free little bunny xx

Back